Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: By 30, Part 2

Today's post is a continuation of my response(s) to the "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the time she's 30" article :)

By 30, you should have...

6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.

Oh dear. Honestly, my past is probably TOO juicy. Should I ever have children, I'll definitely have to pick and choose what is appropriate to tell them. That said, the major things - my first true heartbreak, the huge mistake that was my first marriage, the important things I've learned about how to party but do it safely and keep it under control...those things, they'll hear about. Though they may never see this picture or hear the story behind it:

July 2008. That's all you need to know.

7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.

This is something I struggle with. I'm really good about managing my debt - what little I have. But I have absolutely no savings, and though I do have some investments they certainly aren't anything that would get me by in my old age.

I'm not stupid. I know better than to rely on the idea that social security will be around (or that I'll get anything out of it) by the time I retire. I have a goal to start some sort of true retirement fund/401k by the end of 2013, though. I swear. Which is after I turn 30, but again...at least I don't really have any debt (virtually none outside of a car payment and a mortgage) and I *do* have some investments, even if they don't amount to much...right? ::sheepish grin::

8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Steve and I do have a joint account but we also have separate accounts, and I don't have a debit card for the joint account anyway - the only reason it's joint at all is so that I can transfer some of my paycheck to him every week to help pay our bills.

Even in my first marriage, I was never under any sort of impression that I had a "right" to have access to Ex's email account or voice mailbox. Nor that he had any "right" to have access to mine. It was one of the few things that worked about our relationship and so I've carried it over to my relationship with Steve. Everyone is entitled to their privacy...even if they're married.

9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.

Thankfully, my resume hasn't been "padded" since about a year after I graduated from college. Even then it was just maybe...worded a bit loftily. Nothing was an outright lie.

10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.

This is something I am so, so, so lucky in. I can narrow my response to this "thing" down to three people, but really, I have three times that number if I need them. And sometimes I do. My *true* friends are my rocks, my inspiration, and though they are all so very different I'm not sure what I would do without any one of them.


Though I'm not sure I've ever cried around/to Becky, I can tell her anything. And she is definitely awesome at making me laugh :D Not to mention the crazy stories we have about our times together...our mutual love of all things Disney...and a few mutual dislikes as well ::cough::girls whose names begin with S and end with A; that mutual friend's ex girlfriend; ridiculously emo guys; etc. ::cough::


Allie, on the other hand, has definitely heard me cry. A lot. One time I called her on my way home from work, back when I was a restaurant manager at Disney - it was something like 12:30 or 1 AM on a weeknight and I was sobbing uncontrollably and she just...listened, and calmed me down. Because she's amazing like that. And like Becky, I can tell Allie anything. She has never judged me, she has always been there for me, and even when she didn't agree with what I was doing, she was still somehow on my side in the best way(s) possible. She's amazing and strong and I love that despite distance and differences in life situations, we've remained friends since we met nearly 11 years ago.


Now, Jenna's not necessarily the first friend I call when I'm really upset and need to have a good cry. That's not to say I wouldn't or haven't called her at such times - but sometimes you know someone who (a) has enough on their plate without needing to deal with your burdens as well and (b) is the person you'd rather call when you just want a good laugh. Seriously, Jenna's laugh is infectious, and she's just an all-around crazy, fun person to hang out with or talk to. That said, she's also brutally honest - she'll say things you may not want to hear, but things that need to be said nonetheless...and I think we all need a friend like that. She's been my BFF for about eleven years now (yeah, 2001 was kind of a great year when it came to meeting friends, for me...haha) and it would take some sort of Earth-shattering issue to change or sway that!

Stay tuned for more "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know", coming to a blog near you (this one, duh) next Wednesday!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. love this response...especially the one about the "juicy past." i will NEVER forget the time i asked my mom what the worst thing she ever did was - her response was "took your grandfather's car and stayed out until 6am hanging out on south street with a bunch of transvestites." it blew my MIND to think of my mom as a young fun person.

    ReplyDelete