Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: By 30, Part 3

Here we go, the last 5 things one should HAVE by 30, straight from "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the time she's 30"!


By 30, you should have...

11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.

Yes, no, and I've got plenty of those. 'Nough said? Honestly I don't even know how to use a drill, but does it count if Steve has two? I mean, if something happened to him I'd inherit them and if we divorced I suppose I could insist that we split all tools 50/50... ;) (I kid, I kid)

12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.

I don't know about "ridiculously expensive", unless you count a vacation. Honestly I'm more about experiences than "stuff" and though I have some very nice pricey-ish Coach purses, I would rather spend my money on travel and so I do. I'd say the biggest thing I've ever bought and paid for myself just because I deserved it was my amazing-awesome-no words can possibly describe it-trip to Europe in July 2007. So many gorgeous places visited, so many new friends met, so many great times had. And it was worth every penny that I spent to go (and there were a lot of pennies spent on that trip - thousands upon thousands of pennies).

The Netherlands
Ooo la la, Paris! haha
French Alps
French Riviera
Clubbing in Barcelona with some amazing new friends
13. The belief that you deserve it.

Damn right! No, but really...

I don't think there is any problem with thinking that once in a while, you deserve nice things. So long as it doesn't become an "I deserve everything I want RIGHT NOW" mentality, of course ;) That said, I have done my best to be an independent adult. I went to school and worked hard. I graduated and found jobs and worked hard. I am grateful for everything that I have today and I continue to work hard. And hey, when you work hard at whatever you're doing - being a stay-at-home-mom, running your own business, or just being part of the usual daily grind at a job - you deserve nice things/rewards once in a while!

14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.

Oh gosh yes.

First, I'm allergic to sunscreen. Hopefully this isn't TMI but it gives me one hell of a painful rash. I've tried every kind out there - organic/all-natural, baby/childrens' sunscreen, sensitive skin, plain old PABA-free - none of it works. This scares me. I've always been careful but yeah, I end up with a good sunburn once in a while because of this. That said, I don't overexpose myself to the sun/lay out/go tanning. I try to use natural products (I love Burt's Bees!) for my face and because my skin is so sensitive I have to stick to washing it with regular old Dial antibacterial bar soap. Considering I'm 29 and recently got mistaken for 23, I think I'm doing okay ;)

As for exercise - I love it. It's almost like an addiction. If I go ONE day without a good run, I feel off. I like yoga as well because it calms me (I know how cliche that sounds but I swear it's true). I've been exercising on a regular basis (we're talking 4-6 days a week at least) for over 5 years now and I definitely don't see that stopping anytime soon.

In regards to "those other facets of life", well...I think I'll just have to handle those as they come, because I'm not entirely sure what they are? I mean my body, metabolism, what have you is already vastly different than it was when I was in high school and weighed - no lie - 30 pounds less than I do now. That said, if I really had to cut something out, sad to say but the amount of beer I consume would have to either change or go away entirely. A scary thought, yes, because I love my beer, but I don't want to end up as a middle-aged woman with a beer belly. Yuck.

15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.

Sigh. I knew some of these would really trip me up.

Let's get one thing straight - I don't dislike my job. Sometimes I actually like my job. In fact right now is probably just a bad time for me to respond to this because January through April are consistently the most stressful and difficult months of the year for me at work. In general I am at the very least thankful for the fact that I am able to work, that I do work, and that at the end of the week I get a decent paycheck. Plus good vacation time.

But what I'm doing right now? I'm not sure if it's a career. I never thought I would be a Business Manager. Though I tend to enjoy the HR stuff, I certainly never expected that the bulk of my daily duties would be finance/accounting related. So what kind of career do I want?

I want to be a writer. An author. Published. Able to live off the money that my writing makes me. I would vastly prefer to write novels, but hey, I'd consider it a career and be overjoyed with it if I could get a job writing for a travel publication, a food and beverage publication, or...or...well, basically anything but straight journalistic-style writing of news.

It's my own fault that I'm not doing any of those things - I know this. Which is why I'm pushing myself to work toward a career like that. And ::fingers crossed:: I'll accomplish something soon...though maybe not by the time I turn 30 in just over seven months :-/

And a "satisfying relationship"? Gah, this is where I can tell that this article was originally published in Glamour magazine. Way to not clarify, article. Because most women would automatically think that they needed to be at least in the beginning stages of a satisfying relationship with a significant other...but I'm here to tell you that if you're approaching 30, or if you ARE 30, and you have satisfying relationships with at least some family members and a few great friends, you're doing a-okay. Would a significant other be great? Sure, if that's what you want. But it's not necessary. It shouldn't be necessary.

Maybe this is easy to say because I do have a husband, and he gets me and our relationship is more than satisfying. But at 25 I was married and in a completely unsatisfying relationship, and I had to face the fact that if I left him I could be alone for years, possibly well past 30, maybe even forever - yet I still left, because I had other satisfying relationships to bolster me. And I'll never tire of saying that it was the best decision I made and if I hadn't taken that path my responses to many of these "things I should have and should know" would be totally different and way more depressing. Heh.

Single for the first time in nearly 6 years, and loving it...in VEGAS, of course! Take THAT, "satisfying relationship" rule!
Or rather, proof that a "satisfying relationship" can be with your family...
...or with your friends. (yes, Steve was my FRIEND first so I think he counts? haha)
As for all of those "other facets"...again, I guess we'll just have to see.

Stay tuned for next week's installment - the first 5 things from the list of what a woman should KNOW by the time she's 30!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment