Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: By 30, Part 5

Another Wednesday, and though I haven't really had writer's block lately (despite my sorry lack of posts) I'm continuing with this series of "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the time she's 30". Because I loves it. ;)

By 30, you should know...

6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.

Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton. Although I won't lie, I've only known the names of the SoS's since maybe 2004. Hey, so sue me, I couldn't even vote until that year! ;)

And thanks in part to the fact that I was accorded the honor of typing up my grandfather's memoirs, and also to a free 6-month subscription that I received to ancestry.com - yes, I know all of them!
Paternal-paternal great-grandparents: Frank Walker & Hulda Carlson
Paternal-maternal great-grandparents: Wendell Bradway & Elizabeth Bigos
Maternal-paternal great-grandparents: Stanley Dearstyne & Evelyn Miller
Maternal-maternal great-grandparents: Lawrence Sisson & Margaret McMullin

As for the best tailor...well, I've used a couple in the area. Unfortunately one who I liked shut down; another was a bit pricey. Right now I'm actually working with a third on something a bit bigger but I think I've found a winner so I'll go with a "got it" on this one too, I think ;)

7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.

Yes, and honestly, I actually didn't mind it! Don't get me wrong, it was a bit lonely at first, and I don't know if I'd like to do it forever, but sometimes - once in a while - I even miss being able to come home from work and snack without cooking a meal and watch whatever I want on TV and blah blah blah.

Oh, and I could have whoever I wanted over/to visit whenever I wanted. I only wish I'd gotten more pictures of the sad state of furniture in my little one-bedroom in Orlando.

March 2006, Broadwater apartments on International Drive, right on the LBV/Orlando line ;)
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.

Oh, yoga definitely helps, but as I mentioned in a previous "By 30" entry, I am also *very* lucky to have (and grateful for) friends who I can go to in an hour of need. In fact this was proven 5-fold just two days ago, when I received some shocking and shitty news and pretty much had a breakdown for three hours straight. I honestly don't know what I would have done had I not had amazing people like my mother and my close friends Jonathan, Allie, Mike and Becky to talk me down and pull me through.

You love my face in this picture, don't lie.
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.

Oh, my hips. I gave up on those long ago. And I'd rather change the length of my torso than the length of my legs, and having never needed to come to terms with the latter...well, I won't say I never bitch about the former, but I'm no idiot. I long ago gave up the idea of having a body like...well, like almost any sexy movie star, be she a wisp of a woman like Keira Knightley or a  curvaceous woman like Scarlett Johansson. I'm happy with being healthy and fit, so I suppose I've got this one down.

Nature of my parents...I don't know, I suppose this is something I haven't thought about in a long time. It was an issue when I was a teenager, for sure, because they were pretty darn strict...and it was an issue with my dad for some time in college because of some bad decisions/choices he was making at the time. I won't say I understand my parents - well, I certainly don't understand my father - but they're good people, and they love me. They raised me well and they have taken care of me when I needed it and would help me again if I needed it and they could do so. What more is there to ask of one's parents, you know?

10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.

Uhhh...I'm not sure I understand this.

Maybe it's because I honestly had a pretty great childhood. I won't say that it was completely without issues - I dealt with my fair share of dirty fighting with my little sisters, of rebelling against my parents, of bullying (especially/mainly in middle school and high school). My mom and dad struggled monetarily when I was young - a lot - but there was always a [safe] roof over our head and [good/good for us] food on the table. Also, I've learned to look back and...well, not exactly ignore the crappy stuff that happened, but know that it helped make me who I am today and then look past it to all of the positive things about my childhood/growing up. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go back to that - any of it. Not being a kid, not high school (God, no), not college. In fact, the past not-quite-four-years of my life have been the best so far, even considering any hardships I've endured. After 30, it can only get better...I hope ;)

And honestly, who can argue with a childhood full of puppies?

Yes, I was a hideously ugly baby, and yes, my head is still ridiculously large (though at least in itself more proportionate than it was way back when).
At least I eventually learned that this is NOT the proper way to hold a puppy.

Coming up next week...the final installment of this "30 before 30" series!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment