Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: By 30, Part 6

Well, and we have come to the end of this "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the time she's 30" series :)

By 30, you should know ...

11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.

I learned this in my early/mid 20s, thank God. My advice?

- Don't ever change the essence of who you are for another person. Yes, it is okay to grow in a relationship, to learn to compromise, to try new things. But don't ever try to or pretend to be something you're not. Personal example: If you don't want to be a trophy wife, don't marry someone who wants you to be a trophy wife. If you're a geek at heart, you love Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and God knows what else, don't marry someone who wants you to suppress those interests. If you're the type of person who wants to have fun regardless of what others think (so long as you're not harming anyone else or yourself, of course), don't marry someone who is constantly telling you to "grow up".

Lunch at the Three Broomsticks in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Star Wars Celebration V

Out and about in Greenville with Krohn the dinosaur hand puppet
- We all need money, it makes the world go 'round. But when a job starts stressing you out so much that you end up with ulcers/stomach issues due to stress...it's not worth it.

12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.

Umm...self-explanatory? ;) Though I will say that I can't stress the flossing thing enough, for real. Since I finally forced myself to power through the ickyness that is forcing oneself to start flossing, my trips to the dentist have been soooooo much more, err, pleasant. You know, as pleasant as trips to the dentist can be.

13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.

YES. When you can't trust a person, it is likely about THEM and not about you (unless you can't bring yourself to trust *anyone*, in which case you may want to reevaluate things, just sayin'). I don't think I need to repeat (for what I guess would be the *third* time now, haha) that I'm lucky to have a handful of people who I can trust with just about anything, but I've also learned the hard way that there are plenty of people who have been in my life who I couldn't trust. Most of my sorority sisters (that's an issue/mistake I'll have to talk about another time ::rolls eyes::). People who are constantly screwing others over (they'll do it to you eventually too, trust me). Etcetera.

14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.

Ugh, I am *so* bad about this. In fact, I always say that I'm so good at apologizing I do it whether I'm in the wrong or not! ;)

The thing is, I don't like apologizing when I *am* in the wrong. Does anyone? But after a lot of growing up/maturing I learned how necessary it is to do just that. The problem is, I've always been one to just spit out the words "I'm sorry" when shit doesn't go right, whether it has anything to do with me at all. That annoys people, and I know that it annoys people, but no matter how hard I try to not do it, it eventually happens anyway. Sigh.

15. Why they say life begins at 30

Does it? Really? haha.

No but seriously...if life begins at 30 than I can't even imagine what's in store for me. I've made some crappy decisions in my past and I've had some really rough times because of them, but even with any issues or drama that have cropped up in the past few years these have been a GREAT few years. I may end up worn out by life before I even turn 30 at the end of 2012!

That said, I've had some great opportunities come my way, and some great ideas come to mind, recently - opportunities and ideas that, if they pan out the way I *hope* they will, will in fact prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that at least for me, life truly will begin at (or maybe "just around") 30. However, I'll have to get into that more later...don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, and all!

What's on your personal list of things to have and know -- and possibly do -- before turning 30?

I figured I'd just post my answer to this here rather than in an entirely separate entry, because it's going to be short and sweet. Though my 101 in 1001 list extends until January 2014 (at which point I will have *just* turned 31), there's plenty on there that I've already accomplished and plenty more that will *be* accomplished before my 30th and throughout the year when I *am* 30.

So I suppose my main goal is to just continue to live my life to the fullest between now and December, and then to celebrate the big three-oh with one hell of a birthday bash in VEGAS, BABY! :D
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Especially #14!! I learned that in college, yet in my current job, I am CONSTANTLY apologizing! It gets EXHAUSTING bearing all of the burden when its really NOT your fault!

    Thanks for these reminders!

    ReplyDelete