Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: Free Writing Prompt

Free Writing Prompt
Post a photo and write (for 20 minutes) about it, using the phrase, "This is a photograph of..." to start.




This is a photograph of, well, my car. My current car, that is. It's a 2008 4-door Volkswagen GTI and I've had it since January 2008. This is actually the longest I've owned *any* car, but I can't imagine giving this baby up because I just love it. It's cute and peppy and fun to drive, though to be honest I'm not a big lover of driving.

Previously I'd owned quite a few cars...a '99 VW Beetle, a 2003 Chevy Blazer, a 2004 Chevy Silverado SS, a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo...but this car, my GTI, was the first car that I really took time to research and choose. I looked at the Mercedes C300 and the Toyota Prius as well...I may have [very briefly] entertained thoughts about buying a Mustang or a Charger...but in the end the GTI won out, and I've loved it ever since :)

This car has lived in two different states (South Carolina and Connecticut) and traveled through...oh, I don't know, something like fourteen states (on top of the aforementioned two). I've taken it on skiing trips in Vermont and Mass, and summer trips to New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Maine. I made my way up to Connecticut and back to South Carolina in it, driving through New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina along the way. And I've been on vacation in it as well - to Florida and Tennessee, amongst other destinations located in the aforementioned states.

I'm not quite sure why I'm so attached to this car. I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that right when I got it is when I started making some major changes in my life, changes that stemmed from both good and bad decisions. But as I already mentioned, it's just a great all-around car and I think that's most of the reason I love it so much.

My only regret is that it's an automatic, not a stick shift. Why did I get an automatic? Well...I can't drive stick. I mean, I probably could...I would just have to re-learn, and therein lies the problem. Back at the end of high school I learned to drive stick on my dad's 1967 VW Bug...unfortunately, I had just barely gotten the hang of it when I moved away from home. Several years later, when Ex and I had just gotten married, I asked if he would help me re-learn.

In the words of Vivian Ward (if you don't know who that is, shame on you), "Big mistake. Big. Huge!"

Basically he had a 1995 Ford Mustang with God knows how many miles on it (it was a lot - well over 100k, from what I remember), but he thought that car was hot shit (this was 2003, mind you) and he very obviously could not deal with the small amount of abuse it would take as I learned to drive it properly. Him not being able to deal with this resulted in him yelling at me, freaking out on me, scaring the ever-loving crap out of me really. And all that led to me deciding that learning to drive stick wasn't worth it. And ever since, well, just the thought of trying to learn again practically gives me a panic attack. Sad, no?

Well, my 20 minutes is up! That was both harder than I thought it would be, but not that hard at all...if you catch my drift :) (Oh gah, there's a "That's what she said" in there somewhere, I can feel it) Too bad I didn't stick to the topic of what was in the picture the entire time I was writing...haha
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment