Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: 20 things to...avoid?...in your 20s. Part 2.

Well, #7 on this list really threw me for a loop...so enjoy an image-saturated installment of my take on the "20 things every person in their 20s should avoid" article!

6. Relying too much on your parents

I won't lie, my parents put me through college and I'll be forever grateful for that - because I have no student loan debt and I truly feel for my friends who do. And once in a while my mom will offer to take me for a mani-pedi or pay for a Target run (though she probably regrets the latter offer more often than not because we all know how "running to Target for one thing" usually ends)...but I've always been of the independent sort. I've always wanted to know that I can support myself. And yeah, it's a damn good feeling knowing that I can do the latter ;)

The only thing is, my parents have everything. Shoot, the first year I had the money I bought my mom a gift card for a massage for Mother's Day...and she didn't use it for almost a year! So me doing stuff for them is basically impossible. Thankfully I'm pretty darn good at thinking up heartfelt gifts, because those are really the only ones I can give them as again...they have everything else. They deserve it all, though...my parents are seriously some of the best people I know.

I probably couldn't have earned all of those honors cords and medals without my parents' help, no lie.

7. Small Horizons

The best part of the description for this "thing to avoid" is "...you will never have as few attachments and responsibilities as you do now. Travel...'Travel while you’re still young, stupid, and broke.'" It does go on to say that you should travel alone, that you should go away for at least a month, you should visit at least one place on the State Department's Travel Advisory List...etc. Honestly...that's not for everyone! 

And by "that's not for everyone" I kinda mean that it's not really for me, haha. I simply prefer the company of others to being by myself, especially when traveling (seriously, traveling in groups is always more fun). I'd love to visit one of those places on the Travel Advisory List, but sometimes it's just more feasible to stay safe. And besides, in my 20s I...

Went skiing and dog sledding in Wyoming...

Spent an entire day drinking Mint Juleps in Louisville, Kentucky...

Went bicycle riding in Holland...

Took a cable car to the top of the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix, France...

Experienced broad daylight at 11-o-clock at night in Denali National Park, Alaska...

Drank around the World at EPCOT ***15*** times!

Took eight amazing trips to Las Vegas...

Experienced about six days of camping in the mountains in Massachusetts...in weather that was constantly rainy and cold.

Laid over a sailboat on the coast of Maine...

Went to New Orleans during Mardi Gras season and happened to catch the Saints winning the Superbowl at a bar on Bourbon Street. With locals. And cops.

...aaand then watched the Cubs lose a game at Wrigley Field (big surprise...heh)

Got stuck in Michigan and had to sleep in the most ghetto hotel ever in Detroit with these two guys that I'd literally met the day before at a mutual friend's wedding...

...did oodles of touristy crap in San Fransisco, including playing the Full House theme on Steve's phone while running around Alamo Square like eejits...

Mastered the U-Bahn and S-Bahn in Berlin...

...had one of the most ridiculous, insane and memorable nights of my life in Prague by going to a black light theater show, eating dinner in a former catacomb, dancing the night away at "THE BIGGEST CLUB IN CENTRAL EUROPE" (it had FIVE FLOORS! lol) and hearing the angels sing in the Old Town Square (okay, that one is a personal joke).

Spent a night drinking wine and watching an opera film on a big screen in front of the Rathaus in Vienna...

Drank Kufola in Bratislava...

Bought alcohol in a store in a subway station in Budapest...and then drank it.

Watched the Glockenspiel at noon in Munich...

Whiled away an afternoon on the Cours Mirabeau in Aix-en-Provence, drinking wine, eating Croque Monsieurs and Creme Brulee, and reading.

Hopped off a trail to ski some glades (stupidly, but bravely) in the first ever ski resort the US ever boasted - Sun Valley, Idaho!

Experienced Savannah, Georgia's infamous St. Patrick's Day celebration...

Oh yeah, and visited the Caribbean several times, experiencing cenotes and the Belize reef and climbing waterfalls in Jamaica and horseback riding in the ocean and spending the day on a private island and swimming with sting rays and sea turtles...the latter of which was probably one of the most amazing things I've ever done (the sea turtles, I mean).

And now this has gotten far too long, so stay tuned for next week's installment, which will include three of the things to avoid that should have been posted this week ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment