GRILLED CHEESE & TOMATO SKILLET
10 slices soft white sandwich bread
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 pints grape tomatoes, divided
3 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4-5 garlic cloves, pressed/minced
1 lb shell pasta
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Trim the crusts from the bread to form 3-inch squares; discard crusts. Brush one side of the bread slices with the butter and using a large skillet cook over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, turning once. Once they slices are golden brown remove them from the skillet and cut the slices diagonally for a total of 20 triangles.
- Meanwhile cut 1/4 cup of the tomatoes into quarters and set aside. Place the remaining tomatoes into a food processor or blender and run until they are finely processed.
- Put the vegetable broth and processed tomatoes into a pot and heat over medium on the stovetop until hot (you can also microwave 4-6 minutes in a bowl).
- Add the oil, chopped onion, and pressed/minced garlic to a 10 or 12 inch skillet and cook over medium-high for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is translucent, stirring frequently. Carefully add tomato mixture, pasta, cream, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 6-8 minutes or until pasta is still slightly firm, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add half the cheese; stir until the cheese is completely melted. Top with the remaining cheese, cover, and let stand 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Arrange the bread in an overlapping circular pattern around the edge of skillet and garnish with the reserved tomato quarters.
(I was honestly a bit unsure of this recipe at first, especially as it called for white bread which I basically never use...I thought about switching it to wheat but decided (for once) to follow the recipe and I'm actually glad I did...this was surprisingly tasty and I bet kids would especially love it. Lord knows Steve did...haha)