Friday, August 31, 2012

Dragon*Con Part 1: Thursday Night

Phew.

Seriously...phew.

I'm finally back at my hotel after nearly twelve hours of running around Dragon*Con - and yeah, I'm exhausted.

But I can't wait to do it all again tomorrow :)

That said...here's a quick update on my first night in Hotlanta!

I arrived around 7:45 PM last night, checked into my hotel and headed right over to the Sheraton to get my D*C badge. At about 8:20 PM there was no line for pass pick up, but I did have to wind through the crazy queue! No lie, it was kind of ridiculous - registration was in this *giant* hall, and the entire thing had been turned into a queue. It took me longer to walk through that thing than to actually get my badge, haha :)

Anyway, I also picked up Steve's badge and was surprised that I didn't have any trouble. I had a copy of his license with a note on it giving me permission to pick it up, but I don't think they even looked at the note. Still, for future reference, yes this is possible, though I would go the whole shebang and get written permission along with a driver's license copy, just in case.

I headed right back to the hotel - which isn't a host hotel, by the way, but is only about a 10 minute walk from the Hyatt (less from the Westin, but quite a bit more from the Marriott, Hilton and Sheraton) - to get ready for the ABC (Anything But Clothes) party at the Hyatt. I found out about this kind of last minute...they have VIP passes available for a donation - they get you into the party an hour early, but you have to get them in advance. And then from 10 PM until midnight you can only get in in an "anything but clothes" outfit...but you also have to be prepared to wait in line.

Thankfully though...I got lucky! I happened to pull out my computer to play some music while I was getting ready, and then I figured hey, why not sign into Facebook...well, lo and behold, someone had posted on the ABC Party Facebook Event that he had an extra pass! And so I met Rob, a.k.a. Draco. I had some technical difficulties with my bubble wrap. And my duct tape. And my stickers. So I didn't actually make it there until 9:55, but I *did* make it, I *didn't* have to wait in line, and I had a blast.

First, I met Loras Tyrell. Or rather, the girl who is dressing as Loras Tyrell on Sunday ;)
Then, I got several drinks from these fine ladies.


And then I danced amongst these people, until I was so hot and tired that I had to make my way back to the hotel :)

Seriously though - everyone was SO nice. They did run out of beer kind of early (it was before midnight, anyway) - but they had plenty of pre-mixed drinks. One was a fruity red punch that I think had rum in it; the other was an orange sort of punch that had vodka. All I know is that it was free open bar, plus you could always BYOB :) Though there were several people NOT in ABC outfits in the suite before midnight...boo to that, I say!

I was smart enough to throw a plain black cotton dress in my suitcase, so I walked to the party and back from it with that thrown over my bubble wrap dress. And I wore flats. Also a really good idea, haha. So something to keep in mind if you're thinking about attending this party next year (or later years) and aren't staying at the Hyatt (or whatever hotel they are having it in, but it's been at the Hyatt the past three years).

Also, obviously joining the Facebook event for it was a great idea - you may not get lucky and happen upon someone with an extra VIP pass, but even after the fact I've connected with people I met via the event page :) This is also where they will first announce the room number, though I will warn you - make note of it! I didn't and when I tried to find the post with the number later, it was impossible thanks to a crappy hotel internet connection and the fact that a ton of people had posted on the event page and bumped the room number post down :-/

Honestly though, it was a perfect first night at *Con...even if it made for a long, exhausted day today. That, however, I'll get into in my next post...so stay tuned!

Signed,

The Girl Who Wore Bubble Wrap, Black Duct Tape, & Stickers For The Band She Sings With
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment