Thursday, August 16, 2012

TWO WEEKS 'TILL DRAGON*CON!

Okay, my bad. My blog is called "A Geek Saga"...yet I've kept relatively quiet about the fact that I'm attending Dragon*Con in JUST. TWO. WEEKS. Like two weeks from today I'll be driving down to the ATL, yet I've only mentioned this Con in passing here on my blog. So yeah, bad Tara. Bad bad bad.

First things first, I originally didn't have enough vacation days to take time off for Dragon*Con...which meant not arriving until probably 8:30 or 9 PM Friday night :( But due to some [not exactly positive, but oh well] changes at my job recently, I'll now be arriving around that time on THURSDAY night! And boy am I excited to not miss out on what Friday has to offer. This also means more chances for dressing up (y'all know how I love to do that), so I will definitely be reprising my Juno Eclipse outfit from Star Wars Celebration V (and this time I have her Imperial cap! I'm also going to spray paint my dumb orange blaster, haha)...and possibly my Luna Lovegood outfit as well :)

But the *big* costumes I have planned are (surprise surprise? haha, not) Song of Ice & Fire / Game of Thrones costumes. On Saturday I will be Daenerys Targaryen, in a dress that is almost an exact copy of her wedding gown from season 1 of GoT...


Now, originally I was only going to go as Dany at all because Steve was supposed to dress like Jon Snow...but he never got around to making his costume (due to money AND time constraints). We thought it would be fun to go all trope-y on everyone's asses, but now that's a no-go and I'm kinda sad :( Of course I'd already purchased the bits and pieces to put my Dany outfit together, though, so trudge forward with it I must will.

Next on the list is Cersei Lannister! Again she was chosen because a friend was supposed to come along and dress like Robert, but again money got in the way and so far as I know he won't even be going to D*C now :-/ That said, this is the costume I'm most excited about, if only because it actually led to me getting invited to participate in a private photo shoot on Sunday afternoon! Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make my dress entirely screen accurate, but I would say it's fairly close to this:


Basically it's red and gold, with a "V" neckline, a cummerbund (though that is made of cloth because I can't deal with whatever I would have had to make the thing in the picture out of) and dagged sleeves. I even have Dany's dragon brooch and Cersei's Lannister lion necklace! Plus extensions for Dany (because my hair is already blonde enough, thank you) and a wig for Cersei (because my hair is too blonde for her, sorry). I've gone all out, so to speak ;)

Other plans for D*C? Well let's see...I've signed up for a handful of Writer's Workshops (for $8 each, how could I pass them up?) as well as several Game of Thrones activities - not just the private photoshoot above, but some bigger/public ones; a Game of Thrones Game Show; a themed wine and beer tasting...even a themed wedding! All of which I am super, super excited about.

But most exciting of all??? I was chosen to be one of the panelists for the Game of Thrones: Clash of Kings panel on Saturday night at D*C! The panel description reads, "HBO rolled out the 2nd season with some notable deviations from the books. Did it still work for you? What was your reaction to the War of Five Kings?"

Obviously I'm most interested in those "notable deviations from the books"...I mean come on, I already went off on a tangent about it here on my blog ;) In general, though, I'm just beyond happy to have this sort of opportunity to truly participate at/in Dragon*Con.

You can bet that I'll be crossing off every day on my calendar for the next two weeks...though truth be told I'm still working on getting ready for this trip! (Making at least one of Dany's dragon eggs is going to be a heck of a task, let me tell ya.) Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Say hello to the Auburn fans in Atlanta for me. Or more appropriately, "War Eagle!" The Chick-fil-a kickoff game is Saturday Sept 1st in Atlanta between Auburn and Clemson.

    I hope you have a blast. Sounds like you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being chosen as a panelist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make your Daenerys costume? If you did could you send me a pattern or something - I'm not great at just making things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa - hopefully you'll get a notification for this comment - I unfortunately don't have a pattern for the Dany costume (the dress was made for me by someone else) but please email me at ageeksaga (at) gmail (dot) com and I can send you some resources.

      Delete