Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: More Geek Pride, Just in time for Dragon*Con

"So why were you mortified back then? Write about embarrassment you felt when you were younger that you would probably not feel today."

You know, I really wanted to keep this week's posts (shoot, and probably next week's too, so I'm sorry in advance for anyone who doesn't give a crap) about Dragon*Con...and when this prompt popped up for today's Writer's Block, it was almost like fate. Because when I was younger, I would not have been caught dead going to a convention like this. Just as I didn't want to be discovered reading Star Wars novels or writing original science fiction or swooning over Mulder and Scully.

Obviously I wasn't a person who would poke fun at people who would do any of those things - including attending something like Dragon*Con. I just knew that if any of my "friends" [at the time] had discovered the Timothy Zahn book in my backpack or the dog-eared notebook nearly filled with my own personal vision of the perfect science fiction story or knew that I'd watched the "Triangle" episode of X Files half a dozen times over Thanksgiving break...well, I never would have heard the end of it.

Thankfully those days are long gone...over a decade long gone, in fact. Those of you who read my blog, follow me on Twitter, and/or are friends with me on Facebook have dealt with a barrage of Dragon*Con/geekiness-related posts these past two weeks or so...and so far as I can tell, none of you have run away screaming. Though if you had, well...not to be rude but the loss wouldn't hurt my feelings very much. I am who I am, I am who I've always been...it's just that this older, wiser me refuses to be mortified, embarrassed, or ashamed of my interests.


"You know, seeing you sure brings back a few things. Yeah, I'm responsible now, the price you pay for being successful." 

Oh Lando, I know how you feel. ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment