Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book Review: The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig

source
While I generally enjoyed this novel - in fact, definitely more so than the previous book in the Pink Carnation series, The Orchid Affair, and probably more so than the book or two before that. I simply felt that the characters in this particular installment were more relatable, and I also liked that we got to see Jane Wooliston again - this time through the eyes of someone who considered her a friend, rather than just the flitting appearance in The Orchid Affair. Unfortunately, I couldn't feel quite as happy with the continuance of the Eloise storyline - it felt disjointed at best, and there was a bit of a twist to it that just seemed unnecessary (I'll forgo revealing said twist because it would be a bit of a spoiler).

Honestly it's been quite a while since I read a Lauren Willig/Pink Carnation series book, and I don't know if I've gotten more picky or if she and/or her editor are simply getting lazy because, well, I'm not even sure this book was edited. There was rampant comma splicing as well as ridiculous run-on sentences. I also noticed a lot of repetition - the same word used twice in two or three lines or several times on one page; a thought had by a character several times throughout the novel and always worded the same exact way; etc. Also, and this could be the e-book version I read, but there were times when it appeared that entire words were missing.

All in all - despite the aforementioned issues and errors - The Garden Intrigue was, in general, what I've come to expect from the Pink Carnation series - a quick and easy read with a bit of mystery and a decent romance thrown in :) As I said above, though, I think that this particular story was better than at least the two previous ones, and I'm hoping this trend continues when the next installment in the Pink Carnation series is published. 3.5/5 stars.



"That was what really lay at the crux of it...her own silly tongue, flap, flap, flapping without any reference to rational thought, ruled always by her heart rather than her head. Something would set her off and off she would go...ricocheting from one drama to the next, with never a moment to catch her breath in between."

"If all the world and youth were young
And truth on every sailor's tongue,
Then these avowals might me move
To live with thee and be thy love.
But I come from a colder clime..."


"It was much easier being on the other side of it. She preferred eliciting confidences to making them."

"Some people, it seemed, were doomed to be perpetual outsiders, like a moth at the far side of a lighted patio, always hovering just out of reach of the light."

"Augustus had nothing to say. He was muddled, befuddled, baffled, perplexed, kerflummoxed. Confusion robbed him of the facile phrases that rose so easily to his lips, left him only with a cacophony of image and emotion, none of it reducible to the simple parameters of prose or even the lying truths of poetry."

'"You've been avoiding me.'
'I've been busy,' Emma countered. What was it about early training that made her hedge, when the truth was that she had been avoiding him? She wished she could just come out and say it, but that was the problem with manners; they came back to haunt one at the most inconvenient times."

"To know that someone did care, really cared, but just didn't care enough...That was worst of all."

"Augustus held himself back, resisting the urge to go to her. He had made a right muck of it, hadn't he? And he didn't know what to say to set it right. He wanted things back the way they were, the way they had been before, when they had been comfortable and happy with each other."

"If he loved and loved hopelessly, he never had to make room for messy realities. He never had to genuinely care."

"There was no mistaking the light in his eye. It was something she hadn't seen in a very long time, desire and tenderness and uncertainty, all mixed together. It wasn't just the wanting that was making her fingers tingle and her chest tight, it was the caring.
And that was the truly scary bit."

"I have a very bad habit of trying to make a joke out of those things about which I feel most strongly. It's a defense mechanism, I suppose, and sometimes an inconvenient one." Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment