Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dragon*Con Part 10: Sunday Afternoon

Well, as jam-packed as our Dragon*Con weekend had been - and as crazy and tiring as Sunday morning was - it seemed to me that Sunday afternoon called for a bit of relaxation.

Beginning with brunch at Meehan's Publick House :)

To be honest I wasn't too keen on Meehan's menu as a brunch menu - it appeared to simply be their regular menu, and while the food was good I wasn't quite in the mood for fish-and-chips or meatloaf...I'd really wanted some more classic brunch food, like Eggs Benedict or something of the sort. That said, the fish and chips and meatloaf were very good, and the prices weren't too bad either...I mean, who can argue with a $6 Bloody Mary in the heart of downtown Atlanta? (Especially when a beer at one of the convention hotel bars ran you $7-7.50!)

We took our time at brunch, as well - chatted up new-found friends and the like (sort of the status quo of Dragon*Con, I learned) - and only left when it was getting close to time for me to attend my final writer's workshop. This one was titled "Showing off your Manuscript", but I guess I had misunderstood what it was going to entail. I had thought to hear about showing off my manuscript to editors/publishers, when really the content focused on finding advance readers and organizing workshops. It was a bit disappointing and probably the least helpful writer's activity I went to all weekend, though truth be told that could be just because it wasn't what I expected combined with the fact that I've already dealt with finding advance readers and organizing workshops :)

Originally I'd hoped to make it to the 5:30 PM Tolkein track writing panel, but it was a few minutes after 5 when my seminar ended and honestly...I was tired. That, and I wanted to attempt to check out the exhibitor's hall again, in hopes that it wouldn't be quite so crowded. I wandered off to meet Steve, and ran into quite a few awesome costumes along the way...

Umbridge! Worst Harry Potter villain for sure.
Crazy Amidala costume. I honestly can't imagine wearing this...no wonder she was sitting down.
One of several Carmen Sandiego's I spotted at Dragon*Con. She had gloves as well, but she'd taken them off :)

Thankfully the exhibitor's hall was nowhere near as crowded as it had been Friday afternoon, but honestly I wasn't super impressed by it. It wasn't as big and didn't have as many vendors as I would have expected, considering, and I have to say that I saw way more cool vendors when I went to Star Wars Celebration V back in August 2010. Eventually I left Steve to play some game that he discovered while I sat just outside the hall and rested my feet.

Cersei is not amused.
We had some time to kill before the Gameshow of Thrones, so when I finally extracted Steve from the exhibitor hall we bellied up to the Pulse Bar at the Marriott...but this, and the rest of the evening, is another story for another time, I think :) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment