Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: Post-Election Thoughts

Mehhhhh. Part of me doesn't want to write this entry, and another part of me really, really does. The thing is, I'm not going to talk about Obama vs. Romney or Democrats vs. Republicans. I'm not going to complain about who won or who lost, I'm not going to gloat about who won or who lost, and I'm not going to poke fun at or talk down to anyone because of their beliefs. That's just not the kind of person I am - even if I disagree with you, I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion, and I simply don't feel like arguing or debating about stuff like this.

What I *do* want to say is the following:

(a) Can we get rid of the Electoral College already? It was put in place by a government who basically didn't trust Americans to elect their own leader by popular vote, in a time when COUNTING that popular vote accurately was next to impossible. We haven't needed it for quite some time, and to be completely honest I'm of the opinion that no, every vote does NOT count - so long as the electoral college is in place.

(b) I'm supremely tired of the two party system. For the first time this year I voted outside of my registered party *and* outside of the Republican and Democrat parties, and I was more proud of this vote - a vote that I knew was, in the eyes of so many, being "thrown away" - than I've ever been of any vote I've cast before it. I voted before work, wore my sticker at work all day, then when I got home and changed into comfy clothes I took my sticker off my work shirt and put it on my sweatshirt. See:



The thing is, I think if every person actually did the proper research and voted based on the candidate who fit the majority of their own specific beliefs, we wouldn't have seen an election that garnered something like 60 million-ish votes for Obama, 57 million-ish votes for Romney, just over 1 million votes for Gary Johnson, and then of course even less for Jill Stein, Virgil Goode, etc. I'm sorry but (wait, no I'm not) the thing is, people blindly vote Democrat and Republican far too often. Oh, they know the basic issues - who is going to tax the upper middle class and upper class more, who is for or against abortion/gay marriage/etc., who is more likely to extend our presence in the Middle East and who is more likely to cut it back. But the thing is, there are *so* many nuances to these and basically every other issue that our country faces/considers...I can't really get into specifics without voicing my own political beliefs, which I do not want to do here because this is not any sort of political blog (nor do I want it to be), but I'm telling you, do a bit of research and see where you *really* stand. Please.

In the end, there are very few (if any, heh) politicians who really truly care about the greater good. They are politicians for a reason, folks, and they're all just doing whatever they need to do in hopes of getting elected or re-elected. Plus they're mostly owned by lobbyists and big corporations anyway. But to put it very, very simply - if we weren't so stuck in a two-party system, it would be much, much harder for said lobbyists and big corporations to do what they do. And would probably in the end make our democracy a lot more stable than it is at the moment or than it has been for the past, shoot, 11 years or so.

...and now I step off my soap box. This is the only political-type post I've ever made here, and it will likely be the only one I make here for quite some time. Possibly ever. Because as much as I rail against the electoral college and the two-party system, I do understand that the chances of there being any major changes to these things in my lifetime are, well, pretty slim.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment