Friday, December 21, 2012

Book Review: Going Bovine by Libba Bray

So...generally I'm on the fence about whether or not I "like" Young Adult fiction. Generally, I'd have to say "not really", but sometimes I come across a YA book or series that makes me feel just a little bit better about this category of writing.

While Going Bovine certainly isn't the most amazing book I 've ever read - or even the best YA novel I've ever read - it definitely made me think. And it made me laugh. And for that I have to say that it boosted my opinion of YA fiction at least a little bit ;)

source

I have to admit that I don't quite understand why the names of some entities were changed - for instance, "YA! television" was clearly MTV - yet others (Disney World) were left as is. It seems to me that if the author was going to go the route of changing the names of some companies/entities, she should have renamed them all.

Although I think this novel was somewhat anticlimactic - and I'm also still at a loss as to why every YA novel seems to have to include a love story - as I mentioned above, Going Bovine certainly amused me - and even moved me. 3/5 stars.



"'In a world like this one, only the random makes sense.'"

"...if there's anything I'm starting to learn about people it's (a) that they are fundamentally suspicious and afraid of anyone who is 'different,' and (b) that fear makes them do and say asinine things."

"'Music opens your soul, makes you ready.'
'Ready for what?'
He smiles big. 'Exactly.'"

"'I just don't think happiness is a sustainable state. You can't have it all the time. That much happiness makes people unhappy. And then they start looking for trouble. They start looking for the next thing that's going to make them happy - a happiness fix.'"

"'You've been assigned an identity since birth. Then you spend the rest of your life walking around in it to see if it really fits. You try on all these different selves and abandon just as many. But really, it's about dismantling all that false armor, getting down to what's real.'"

"'...all those other roads those other choices you don't make? They must get to live somewhere.'"

"'The dark does not weep for itself because there is no light. Rather it accepts that it is the dark.'"

"'Sometimes I'm so far ahead of the curve that no one gets me.'" Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment