Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Review: A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

I'm always torn over whether or not to read the newest fad book about dogs...but this one came with a solid recommendation from my mother-in-law, so I was willing to give it a read :)

source

Now I have to be honest - it does start out a bit slow. And in the end, yes, there are some questions that you as the reader is left to figure out - but unlike many of the negative or neutral Amazon reviewers of this novel, I personally don't think it's "wrong" for an author to leave some things up to interpretation. (In fact, some of the best books I've ever read do that.)

Although the human characters in A Dog's Purpose are at times somewhat trite, and though some parts of the storyline are of course predictable, that's something I've honestly come to expect in books about dogs - and I think that the positive aspects of this tale far outweigh the things that would lead me to give it a negative or neutral rating. First, let's be honest - if our dogs were able to tell the tales of our lives, wouldn't they seem pretty darn trite and oftentimes predictable? Second, while I wouldn't say that this book was a "life-changer" for me, it was an entertaining and quick read...and very, very heartwarming. (4/5 stars)


"Dogs have important jobs, like barking when the doorbell rings, but cats have no function in a house whatsoever." Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to pick up this book. Any and all books about dogs or told from a dog's POV is a winner for me :)

    And if it's entertaining and a quick read? Even better!

    (Found your blog through SG!)

    ReplyDelete