Friday, January 11, 2013

I'm not usually one to say this, but T.G.I.F.

Phew.

It's been...one of those weeks, this week.

You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure.

One of those weeks where I've had to get up early twice to take cats to the vet for their annual appointments (and I don't even want to THINK about how much that cost me, money-wise). One of those weeks where I worked my 8 hours and headed home to clean and cook and bake and take care of pets and didn't actually sit down and relax until after 8 PM every night.

That's 13-ish hours a day of go-go-go-go-go, mind you.

And at the end of those 13-ish hours, I was so worked up that I couldn't force myself into bed until about midnight or midnight-thirty (yes, I just did that on purpose) every night. Which means that I was getting less than 7 hours of sleep a night.

I'm a person who needs her 8 (or more) hours of sleep. Trust me on that.

And during this hectic week, the "baby" that I'm nurturing with my friends Matt and Valerie was, as things that I love to my core usually are, both a blessing and a curse.


You see, we're doing this convention at cost. Meaning that not only are we organizers donating time, but we're donating money (in one form or another) as well...mainly to keep the tickets at a reasonable price. Now, we generally knew from the beginning what we were getting ourselves into, so I promise that I'm not complaining...but this week we did have an unexpected fee revealed to us. A fee that literally takes away every extra dollar we had (and trust me, there weren't many of them) tucked away to use for prizes at the convention, printing programs, and filling the gift bags included with Dragon and Stag tickets.

Of course we've been, err, "trolling" (not really - that's 'for lack of a better word', I suppose) for donations of ASOIAF/GoT-themed items anyway, but now we've had to take that up with a vengeance. And we're also seriously considering looking for out-and-out sponsors so that we don't have to break our own personal (and not very well-padded, at least/especially in my case) bank accounts.

All that said, we do have some great things in the works for this convention. I can't make official announcements about a couple of them yet, but hopefully I'll be able to do so soon :) However, I *can* announce the following:

FIRST THINGS FIRST: There are just *9* Stag tickets left! If you want to attend this convention and take part in the AWESOME feast that we're having Saturday night, purchasing one of these 9 tickets is the only way you'll get to do so :) Also, please note that ticket prices will go up again on February 1st. Right now Stag tickets are $65; starting February 1st they will be $75. Iron tickets are currently $50; starting February 1st they will be $60.

SECOND THINGS SECOND: The *only* accommodations left on site at Ravenwood are the Fairy Tale Cabins. These cabins are a bit less expensive than the castle rooms and Medieval Village Cottages, but they ARE about a 15 minute walk (each way) from the main areas where the convention will be held, and they do not have heat. (Which shouldn't matter TOO much in late April...but we still want to warn everyone.)

THIRD THINGS THIRD: We're also finalizing some AWESOME things throughout the next couple of weeks :) As I said above, I can't announce some of these things in an official capacity just yet...*but* we promised that we'd have the schedule up before the end of January and that *will* happen, as we are working hard on it right now! For instance, we've already decided that there will be 6 panels at Con - 1 on Friday, 4 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday - and 4 of the topics have been chosen as well. And we're polling the convention facebook group and letting attendees decide the final 2! These panels will be spaced out to insure that convention attendees will be able to also participate in our other exciting activities, including but not limited to photoshoots, a costume contest, a [mock] tournament, and Westerosi Karaoke. (Yes, you read that right, WESTEROSI KARAOKE. Which will be insanely hilarious and fun; I'm certain of it.)

As always, you can find us at the following links:



Ice & Fire Con STORE - for all of your Game of Thrones, Song of Ice & Fire, and Ice & Fire Con merchandise needs ;)

*** Please feel free to comment here on my blog or contact me directly via the email on my contact page, or to email us convention organizers (myself [Tara], Valerie, & Matt) at iceandfirecon(at)gmail(dot)com with ANY questions! ***
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment