Tuesday, March 19, 2013

MegaCon Recap: Day 1, Part 1

Well, I meant to post some MegaCon thoughts WHILE I was there...buuut anytime I actually *had* internet after Thursday the 14th it was questionable at best. Sad :( So I'll be posting a quick recap of my MegaCon experience - or what I can remember of it - over the next couple of days.


Now I have to be fair - I knew going into this that MegaCon was *not* - in any way, shape, or form - Dragon*Con. But I also have to be honest - nothing could have prepared me for *how* different it was. I've been to other conventions before - for example, Star Wars Celebration - but that's not really comparable either, because it's a single fandom con. Which Mega, well, isn't. Still...I was, admittedly, more than a little disappointed.

Here's how it started - a friend of mine suggested staying in the Rosen Centre. He had every reason to suggest this, and in a way I'm glad that I stayed there because he and his fiance were there as well, and therefore we got to hang out a lot :) But...I should have stayed at the Rosen Plaza. Because it was cheaper. And I think technically it was even a closer walk to the main areas of the convention...or at least it wasn't farther away. Also, they refused to even *try* to check us in early. I mean, wouldn't even put our names in the computer or anything. I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that the three times we tried to get into a freaking room before 3 PM, they literally had *nothing* available.

(at least there was some fun stuff to look at while we waited for rooms and tickets. sigh.)

I also bought my ticket in advance, but apparently so did everyone else, and MegaCon clearly wasn't prepared for the number of advance ticket purchases - both days the "wait" for purchasing passes on site was 15 minutes or less, whereas we waited in line for over 30 minutes on Friday morning to pick up our pre-purchased passes. It wasn't a huge deal or anything; it was just clearly poor planning on their part.

The main perk that advance ticket purchasers did receive was that we got into the dealer room early. So thanks to my buddy Tarl, I got to meet Jeremy Bulloch (the REAL Boba Fett) as well as wander around and check stuff out a bit. I have to say though...I'm *terrible* at dealer rooms. There's so much to see, and I never see all of it, and for some reason I'm also bad about actually approaching booths and looking at/asking about the things that they have for sale? I have no idea why. I'm an oddity, I suppose.

Next up was the "Crafting the Character Arc" panel, which was interesting and probably would have been helpful if my phone hadn't been buzzing off the hook with text messages and phone calls throughout the whole thing. The panelist did get off topic more than a few times, and go out of order in regards to her little presentation print out at least once (maybe twice?), which didn't help things either. Still, I always love attending these writer's workshops/panels - there's usually at least some information that I can glean out of them and use later :)

Once that workshop was over I was *finally* able to get into my hotel room...which meant that it was *finally* costume time!

Master Fay from Star Wars Republic comic #53
"'In all her long decades, she never raised her lightsaber in combat. I don't even know if she carried one...'" - Obi Wan Kenobi, about Master Fay

Please excuse the self-taken photo. I've only got one other picture that shows all/most of my costume and in it my obi/belt are all crooked. Sad.

After donning our first costumes of the weekend, Tarl and I headed back out to the dealer room for another look around. Thing is, he was dressed in a Star Trek costume, so a lot of this happened:

Credit to Howie Muzika

I'm not really sure why I'm Force choking him...err...that's like a Vader thing. But hey, whatever.

Now unfortunately my eejit arse forgot my cell phone when I went back out in costume. So I had no idea what time it was, ever, and I also needed to get back to my room to change for a photoshoot that I had scheduled around 6 PM. I'd wanted to attend the World Building writer's workshop/panel, but it [sadly] didn't happen because of this misplaced cell phone situation.

Coming up next: the rest of MegaCon Day 1, of course...including a rant about how no, I was not dressed as either Daenerys Targaryen or Princess Leia ::rolls eyes:: Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment