Friday, May 24, 2013

Book Review: World War Z by Max Brooks

So to be completely honest, I am shocked and appalled that I didn't discover this book until just recently.

But then, to be completely honest, I wasn't really into the whole zombie thing until pretty recently.

I mean, I enjoyed 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead. I caught some of The Walking Dead on AMC, got interested, but then got busy and kind of forgot about it for a while. Of course, I picked up the latter again earlier this year, and then I read the Walking Dead comics/graphic novels, and suddenly I was out looking for any and everything zombie-related that I could get my hands on ;) Sooner or later, I suppose, World War Z was going to be one of those things.

source

It's been a while since I found a novel that I simply couldn't put down. No, I mean really, I was picking this book up throughout the day, every chance I got. Shirking my duties at home to read it. Staying up way too late at night to read it. Coming home from a night out with friends (a few drinks back, mind you) and reading it then, too. It's just...amazing.

I think that what really got me is how different it is - an oral history of something that never really happened? How could that possibly work? But Brooks makes it work - and very well, I might add. Though to be honest I'd love to know more about the very beginning of the - for lack of a better term - "zombie takeover", I love how this book does what most other tales of its sort do not. That being, tell what happened when everyone fought back. The rebuilding and retaking aspects, as it were.

Honestly, I really can't say much more without giving away too much of the plot. Needless to say, World War Z is a riveting read. Plus, I mean, Mel Brooks' son wrote it. So there's that.

4.5/5 stars



"I don't know if great times make great men, but I know they can kill them."

"A lie? It's okay. You can say it. Yes, they were lies and sometimes that's not a bad thing. Lies are neither bad nor good. Like a fire they can either keep you warm or burn you to death, depending on how they're used." Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment