Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Introducing TRAVELING SANDOR: Ice & Fire Con Recap, Part 1

The only thing I can really think of to say about Ice & Fire Con right now is that I can't believe it's over.

As one of the organizers, I'm admittedly a bit relieved...though I also have no idea what to do with my free time now ;)

As someone who attended this con and enjoyed myself immensely...I miss it already, and I already can't wait for next year.

I'll begin with last Thursday, when Matt - our "Master of Law & Coin" - and myself piled into my car to drive to Ohio. I honestly have *no* idea how we fit everything that we needed to bring...let's just say that it was a tight squeeze, and that's after I already shipped two decent-sized boxes of stuff up to Ravenwood a couple of weeks ago!

Our total travel time was about 8 hours, though only about 7 of that was actual driving. Seriously, we only had to make one full "rest stop" - as in for food and gas all at the same time - yet that alone added 45 minutes to our trip :-/ My Traveling Sandor (yes, this is a new thing for me) was not impressed.


Once we arrived at Ravenwood, checked in, and unpacked my car...it was setup time. Until nearly two in the morning. But this taught us a lesson: next year, smaller silent auction...and no gift bags. ;) They were a seriously cool idea, but not worth the time and effort. 'Nough said.

Luckily, the next morning dawned bright and sunny and we were able to finish our setup and then head out for the Pre-Con meetup.

Traveling Sandor is also not fond of heights, apparently...

Unfortunately...that turned into a bit of a mixup. Apparently Ohio automatically gives you directions to the park entrance, not the place that we were actually supposed to go...so some people ended up in the right place, and some people (::cough::me, Marty, Matt, etc.::cough::) ended up in the WRONG place :-/ And...no cell phone service or internet with which to find proper directions.

The Most Awesome King in the North

Marty and I in our opposing t-shirts ;)


In the end, that worked out, though - it gave us time to return to Ravenwood and make sure everything was set up properly :) Had we tried to find the proper location for the outing...well, we likely wouldn't have even made it back in time to start registration at 3.

And hey, at least we did get a few good pictures!

The reason they call it "Old Man's Cave"...

Traveling Sandor is STILL not amused.

Up next...the official con activities begin, and hey, what can go wrong when you mix Ommegang Brewery's Iron Blonde Ale, a panel about the Bad Boys & Mean Girls of Song of Ice & Fire, and Cards Against Westeros...a.k.a. the ASOIAF version of Cards Against Humanity? Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment