Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Review: Something Blue by Emily Giffin

I'm not sure why I insisted on picking this book up, considering I read its prequel, Something Borrowed, and rated it a mere 1.5/5 stars. But even having disliked that book - and, not surprisingly, the movie that was based on it - I was intrigued with the idea of hearing the story from bad-best-friend Darcy's point of view.

source

Now I can't lie, I hated Darcy as much as the next girl when I read Something Borrowed...but to be completely honest I also wasn't all that fond of uber-good-girl Rachel, either. That probably had a hand in why I was so interested in reading this sequel.

The thing is, what I believe bugged me most about Something Borrowed was that there really wasn't any character development. Oh sure, Rachel stops letting Darcy push her around, but the way she gets to that point is by having an affair with Darcy's fiance? Ugh.

On the other hand, Something Blue is all about the character development. Is it a bit saccharine? Sure. Is it completely predictable? Well, it's chick lit, so that's a resounding yes. And the thing is, if you hated Darcy in Borrowed, hearing her story from her perspective is going to drive you a bit nuts at times. But the thing about Darcy is that at least she's honest. Sometimes too much so. And then when she's suddenly not being honest anymore, you know something's really up. I've read some other reviews that are quite cynical about the outcome of her tale, and while I have to admit that it certainly lends itself to the apparently necessary sappy ending of most chick lit novels...there is growth in this one. I don't want to say any more and risk revealing the entire story, but I'm giving this one a full point higher rating than its predecessor...and for me, not being a fan of chick lit, that's pretty big ;)

2.5/5 stars



"I thought about what a shame it was that I would never experience another first kiss. That I'd never fall in love again. I think most guys experience such feelings in a relationship, typically right before they break down and buy the engagement ring. But from what I can tell, most women aren't like this - at least they don't admit to having such feelings. They find a good man, and that's it. They seem relieved that the search is over.
"They are content, committed, totally in it for the long haul. I guess I was more like a guy in this regard."

"Love and friendship. They are what make us who we are, and what can change us, if we let them." Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment