Saturday, September 21, 2013

Book Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants was the third memoir I chose in my "I need a break from heavy literature" mode this summer, and of the three it was definitely the best, at least by a small margin.

source

Now, I like Tina Fey. I liked her when she was on SNL, I loved 30 Rock, and I've enjoyed the movies of hers that I've seen. I do think you have to at least be something of a Tina Fey fan to enjoy this book, but if you really didn't like her at all I'm not sure why you would pick it up in the first place ;)

I will say this - it's not an autobiography. To me it seemed that Fey wanted to keep as much of her personal life personal and private as possible - which is fine. But I think largely because of that, what she ended up writing was more a series of essays than cohesive chapters for a book. Some of these chapters/essays are great; some aren't and feel more like filler than anything else. Still, this was an interesting, mostly fun, and at times even thought-provoking read. 3.5/5 stars.




"I have a uniquely German capacity to vacillate between sentimentality and coldness." Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun book that hit all areas of life as a female and put things in a wonderfully funny perspective. It's entertaining and enlightening to see the path that has lead Tina to her success as a comedian, an actress, a writer, a producer and a mother.

    ReplyDelete