Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dragon Con 2013 Recap: Day 2, Part 1

Okay, I have to admit - it was rough getting out of bed Friday morning. And I didn't even have to do so until about 10 AM! But wake up I did, because I had to host the American Sci Fi Fantasy Media Track's Game of Thrones Fan Meet & Greet.

It wasn't an extremely crowded get-together, but as usual for Dragon Con almost everyone there was friendly and chatty about the series. We even had a few Game of Thrones cosplayers show up!

Left to Right: White Walker, Jon Snow, Hodor, Littlefinger, Melisandre, Handless Jaime, and GRRM in front with a sign that says "It's a nice day for a Red Wedding!" :)

Oh, and this was also the *ONE* time that I actually caught up with my co-host Johnny from The Hump and Bronto Show with Tara! We tried to meet up with each other several more times but sadly it just never worked out :( So much for that live webcast we wanted to do! (Kidding, no way would we have had good enough internet service for that. Like, anywhere.)


Now, even though we'd been smart enough to bring plenty of snack food to Dragon Con (for our room, I mean), somehow the fig newtons I'd had for breakfast weren't cutting it - which meant that after this 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM meet and greet, it was lunch time! My friend Matt and I were dying for Caribou Coffee's turkey and gouda sandwich, so away we went...and when we arrived, I saw this sign and just had to take a picture with it. (For obvious reasons.)


The dealer room had opened at 1 PM (it was about twenty after when we finished eating), but the line to get into it was still a bit scary. (Not to mention the fact that my knees were already killing me, stupid knee problems.) We decided to "freshen up" back at our hotel room and then head back over to the Americas Mart in hopes that the line would have died down.

Hyatt lobby on Friday afternoon

When we walked back over to the dealer rooms a little while later, the line was gone - but unfortunately, the crowds were still there. Whatever made them think that putting some of the biggest/most popular vendors right in front of the entrance would be a good idea...well. I won't get into that too much just yet, but let's just say that there wasn't much common sense to the dealer rooms this year. And by the time we had wandered around them for a little while and I'd tried to make my way out of them to find a place to sit, my knees were screaming in pain and despite my misgivings there was only one thing for it - a trip to disability services.

Thankfully, the worst part about that was the walk down to and back up from the Sheraton (I gotta be honest, why they have disability services placed in the most out-of-the-way hotel is beyond me). I was there just a few minutes, everyone I talked to was super nice and helpful, and soon enough I was on my way back up the hill to the Hyatt to get freshened up a bit before my next activity - a Walking Dead photoshoot!

And to top it all off, I ran into these guys on my way back to my hotel...


(Gosh, I love Dragon Con for things like that ^^^ ) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment