Friday, October 11, 2013

Book Review: Loose Girl, a Memoir of Promiscuity by Kerry Cohen

This is one of those books that I'm unsure of, but it's hard to put into words exactly why I feel that way (or rather, why I feel or don't feel any way about it).

source

Often I find myself questioning or complaining about authors' writing styles - but Loose Girl is actually an easy yet good read. I think the questions I have about this book lie in the fact that while the author clearly had her own personal issues - issues that led to her having unfulfilling and unfulfilled sexual relationships - I get the feeling that it still walks that line of 'if she was a man, she wouldn't question herself or her decisions this way'. Promiscuity is a tough subject, period, and while I don't think it was badly handled in this memoir, but while the author consistently writes that she knows she has a 'problem', I'm just not sure she does the best job of getting her message across. To the point where I'm not even 100% sure what that message was.

Therefore, I guess the final verdict is: a good read, but not enlightening by any stretch. 3/5 stars.




"I have found myself between the pages of a book. Almost everything we read...reveals characters wrought with loneliness and unfettered desire. In their pain I find a depth of feeling I cannot allow for myself. My own is too much to bear alone."

"We all have the opportunity to find that place where awareness trumps our actions."

"This isn't a story about how some guy finally saves me from myself. I'm my own hero here; I do the saving." Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment