Friday, November 1, 2013

Book Review: Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Let's get one thing straight: I'm not "religious" by any means...yet I still can't wrap my head around this book.

source

Seriously, the entire time I was reading it, I wanted to be amused, but I was generally just weirded out. Sure, the descriptions of hell involved a lot of grossness, but no more so than Haunted. Considering Palahniuk has never been a 13-year-old girl, he did a decent job of writing from the perspective of one - but Madison still felt like a very one-dimensional character. Sure, there were some 'Palahniuk twists' involved as well - but none of them were as shocking as those in his earlier works.

And above all (and back to my point about not being able to wrap my head around this book), I couldn't stop thinking about how sacrilegious it all was. I just feel as if Palahniuk had a great recipe, but he's cooked it ten too many times and is getting lazy with it. 2/5 stars.



"...what makes earth feel like Hell is our expectation that it should feel like Heaven."

"Mine is the age-old conundrum of betraying one's parents versus betraying one's diety." Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment