Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 in Review/Looking at 2014

How do I even begin to sum up 2013?

Without going into detail, the past month has been a rough one. I've got personal and health concerns building up, and because of that...well, some days I feel like I'm going to explode. Or maybe implode. I'm not really sure which is the more appropriate term ;)

I guess maybe I'm weird because even when things are rough, I can joke about it. Or at least, I've been told that's weird/bad/whatever. But hey, in the words of Van Wilder (and no, I can't believe that I'm quoting this, for too many reasons to count) - "You shouldn't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."

So on that note, I think it's important for me to focus on the best things that I experienced this year. After all, no year has ever been perfect...but looking back, I'm pleased to say that the highlights from this one were pretty damn outstanding.

First, Big Sky Montana taught me that I really have no idea what I'm doing in terms of skiing. (No. Seriously. That mountain was scary, and I've been skiing for 15 years now.)


Then I went to MegaCon in Orlando and met Michael Hogan. And he asked me why I wasn't in the brig. And it was awesome.


And at the tail end of that Orlando trip, I *finally* got to Drink Around the World at EPCOT on Saint Patrick's Day!


Next up was an awesome trip to Boston to see Muse in concert...and go to a Sox game! Oh yeah...they won! Clearly my 'lucky socks' helped...


Not two weeks after returning from Boston, surprise surprise...I was on the road again. This time to Ohio for the first ever Ice & Fire Con...and I can't even begin to describe how elated I *still* am that it was such a success.


While summer was mostly spent working (two jobs), there were certainly some highlights to be had...Memorial Day at Lake Lure, for one :)



And I also got to be involved in MonsterCon in Greenville! I was on several panels and of course also dressed up in costume, met some fun new people, and was generally excited that Greenville finally had a convention.


Once August hit, my life became one heck of a blur. I traveled up to Connecticut for my cousin's wedding (the first time I'd left Greenville since Memorial Day) and rounded that trip out with a couple of days at my best friend's family cottage on Lake Mascoma in New Hampshire. It was beyond perfect...we were lazy and ate a lot and drank Bloody Marys and I read and read and read.


Of course, that trip did cause one small problem...I got behind on my Dragon Con costumes. Because less than two weeks after returning from my little 'break' in New England, it was off to Atlanta for [what is still] my favorite convention.


After Dragon Con, though, the fall of 2013 was quite a blur. Beginning with a trip to Vegas with 12 Australians...


Almost immediately followed by an...um...interesting...weekend at Anime Weekend Atlanta...


 To the ridiculous shenanigans of "Not*a*Con" in Ohio...


And then a trip to Orlando with my entire family (and as always, time to hang out with my friends who live in Florida)...



Right after that I had one of the most amazing (and in many ways, surreal) experiences of my life - Walker Stalker Con. Why was it so amazing and surreal? Well, besides the fact that the convention itself was a blast, I had the amazing opportunity to participate in a roundtable style interview with ANDREW LINCOLN. I'm honestly still not 'over' it ;)


The rest of November was chock full of more work and traveling, including several days in San Diego to participate in training for a new accounting module we're using at my day job. Thankfully, though, I also had time to 'play' in that city...meaning I got to do a brewery tour and see Balboa Park and eat at a lot of awesome restaurants.


Though I missed traveling to New England for Thanksgiving and then had a sort of "I'm about to be 31" life crisis at the beginning of December, I did my best to enjoy my birthday at Disney World - and, for the most part, succeeded...thanks to some really great friends.


I wasn't much feeling the holidays this year, but of course Christmas happened. At least it was in Greenville, and I *suppose* that, despite my Scrooge-like attitude, I enjoyed some of Christmas. Time off from work, hanging out with my pups and my family, and even sporting the perfect hat for my mood...


And hey, in the end I wrapped up the year skiing at Keystone and Breckenridge, with pretty great weather to boot - and a crazy weird blur of an 80s-themed New Year's Eve! (Seriously, I've been overusing the Hot Tub Time Machine joke all week.)



As for today, the first day of a new year? Well. I'm not one for resolutions, so you won't see me making any. I suppose at this point that I just want to spend this year focusing on the things that I want out of life. I'm not going to go into detail, but I will say this - those things probably aren't what people would expect me to want. So...I guess we'll just have to see. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment