Sunday, March 2, 2014

Con Nooga Day 2: Business in the Front, Party in the Back

Let's just say that on Saturday morning of Con Nooga, I hit the sleep button on my phone alarm a few more times than was necessary...which meant that I wasn't able to make it to the "Writing Great Action Scenes" workshop on time. I arrived about halfway through the workshop, but was at least able to get a handout and take a few notes as others read the scenes they'd been writing when I arrived.

When the workshop was over, I had plenty of time to wander around before the 3 PM Game of Thrones panel, "Road to Kings Landing". I ran into plenty of awesome cosplayers and even saw an all-female a cappella group, the Misbehavin' Maidens, perform!

Loved this couple's Shrek costumes!

Cutest little Walking Dead crossplays ;)

The Game of Thrones panel was really more of a roundtable, but was fairly well-attended, especially for such a small convention. It turned out that almost everyone in the room had read the books, so the panel itself ended up being a mixed bag of show and book discussion. What I really loved was that there were several Sansa (and even SANDOR!) fans in the group...you don't find that very often, and it seriously made my afternoon ;)

There was one more panel I wanted to attend that evening - "The Writing Life" - which was peopled by mostly small/indie press authors. It was definitely interesting to hear their stories about how they ended up published, though to be honest I was hoping for more of a talking-to about how to be a published author you have to suck it up and write write write, or something like that. A firm pep talk, if you will. Ah well, perhaps I was just in need of a more comfortable costume and another drink...but first, I made sure to get a few pictures of my friends and I in our Game of Thrones outfits.

Fist bumps...of a sort

Littlefinger is not fond of Jaime...'s stump

Clearly the Bridal Affair sign was the joke of the weekend. Along with 'sideboob'. Don't ask.

Love this one!
We knew we'd want some actual dinner, so we ran back to the room for quick costume changes before walking down toward the Choo Choo (that would be the host hotel). Unfortunately everything near there was either overpriced or had an hour long (or more) wait...and then we stumbled on a little Latin place. The service was kind of atrocious and it took forever to get our food...which was sad, because if we hadn't been so hungry and annoyed with these things, we probably would have enjoyed it more. But hey, at least it still allowed us to arrive back at the Choo Choo in plenty of time for the parties to begin!

Admittedly, I wasn't quite certain what was meant by 'room parties' - at least not so far as Con Nooga went. But to say I was pleasantly surprised would be one heck of an understatement, because Con Nooga's version of 'room parties' is pretty much amazing. Basically, the Choo Choo has a U-shaped building with a courtyard and pool inside the U, and a bunch of rooms on the first floor open their doors to that area. They play music, offer drinks (and sometimes even snacks), and things stay pretty rowdy until at least 3 AM.

Awesome Magneto!

The Dude! He even shared his White Russian with me :D

"Jenny" Powers & Booker...just hangin' out

It was close to 4 AM when I finally decided it was past time for bed and made my way back to my hotel. And yeah...that's a long walk that late at night, in the cold, with no coat. But worth it, because from what I saw of the rooms at the Choo Choo, I paid a LOT less for a MUCH nicer room, and while the walk to the host hotel may have sucked, my hotel (the Staybridge) was - as previously mentioned - right across the street from the convention center where all (or at least most of) the daytime programming was held.

And that brings me to this conclusion: the reason this blog entry is titled "Business in the Front, Party in the Back" isn't just because of my Kenny Jenny Powers mullet ;) It's also a great way to describe Con Nooga. The literary track is one of the best I've ever experienced, and for such a small convention that really says a lot. But I also had a great time - both Friday and Saturday nights - with the nightlife Con Nooga had to offer. It also helped that everyone I talked to throughout the entire convention - volunteers and panelists and attendees - was extremely friendly. This was definitely one of the best convention experiences I've ever had and I *will* be back next year! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment