Thursday, March 27, 2014

MegaCon 2014 Recap: Day 1, Part 1

This year marked my second attending MegaCon in Orlando, Florida. While not my favorite convention by any means, I've managed to have a good time...though mostly because of my friends, rather than because of the convention itself. However, that's a story/conclusion that I'll revisit at the end of this recap. For now...


I was lucky to have a press pass this year, which meant that my badge pickup took maybe ten minutes and I had an actual badge on a lanyard, not the awful wristbands that MegaCon usually supplies. I get that they're trying to keep people from 'sharing' badges, but honestly...why? I've never been to another convention that is that worried about badge sharing ::shrug::

However, I did have friends who were waiting in the pre-reg pickup line. In fact, they had just figured out where the end of that line was by the time I had my badge in hand, because there wasn't a single MegaCon worker/volunteer around to direct the flow of traffic. (Seriously, my friends walked up and down the length of the convention center twice looking for the end of the line.) I ended up just waiting with them, and it took about an hour (possibly even closer to an hour and a half?) to finally get their wristbands. This happened right as they opened the dealer room, and the first panel I wanted to attend didn't start until 3:20, which meant we had plenty of time to check out the wares...

Ian Leino, Illustrator & Graphic Designer

I also discovered that if you bought fountain drinks in the "Refreshments" area - which was sort of like a cafeteria - you got free refills! Score!

My buddy Tarl also opted to wear his duty blues from BSG while I wore my Starbuck costume. What can I say, it's always more fun going around as a pair or group when cosplaying :)

Serious picture...

He's going to put me in the brig for this one...

I also hung out with my friend Tammy for a while, and she recognized Ken Spivey of the Ken Spivey Band (sort of...Dr. Who-themed filk rock? or something like that?). He was actually super personable and funny, and did a darn good job trying to convince me to start watching Dr. Who even as I tried to convince him that he needs to watch Game of Thrones ;) We actually talked with him for a good 15 or 20 minutes before we finally released him from our clutches...he was quite a good sport about it all.

Me with Ken of the Ken Spivey Band

Seriously though, if you're a Dr. Who fan you should really check him out. He almost made me wish I knew what his music was about...

(No Tara, no! Don't fall into the clutches of Dr. Who and its fandom!...haha)

Stay tuned for another update about my first day at MegaCon, including a panel with the 501st Star Wars costuming group and the long long hike back to my poorly chosen hotel... Pin It

2 comments: