Friday, March 28, 2014

MegaCon 2014 Recap: Day 1, Part 2

After a couple of rounds in the dealer room (during which I saw way more awesome stuff than I could have possibly afforded to buy), it was time for my first panel of the weekend..."Hardware Store Props" with the 501st!


While I do feel that a lot of the information in this panel was skimmed over, and at times the panelists talked so fast I could barely keep up with them as I tried to take notes, it was still extremely informative...and I suppose we can't expect them to give away all of their secrets :) The building of the power droid probably interested me the most because look at it (the brownish thing at the far left of the above picture) - that could be a great geeky trash can, no?!

I will say that I arrived maybe five to eight minutes before the start time and the room was packed. There were people lining the walls and standing in the doorway! The room was far too small, obviously, and as I attended two other panels in the same room over the course of the weekend, I spent way too much time in it for my liking. I'll go into a bit more detail on that in one of my Saturday recaps, though, so stay tuned ;)

The prop panel wrapped up and I decided on one more loop around the dealer room before heading back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. I have to admit that mostly I just wanted to see and be seen...and I did get pictures of some great costumes.

Green Arrow and Black Canary

ANNAkin Skywalker and HANS Solo...get it? haha

As previously mentioned, it was a long walk back to my hotel...especially after many many hours roaming the convention. Last year I'd booked the Rosen Centre and ended up being quite a bit farther from the convention hall than if I'd stayed at the [much cheaper] Rosen Plaza...this year I booked the Rosen Inn, which is right next to the Rosen Plaza...only to find out that they'd moved MegaCon to the complete opposite end of the ridiculously large Orange County Convention Center :-/ So it was about a mile walk there and back. Needless to say, I'll pay more attention when booking my room if I decide to attend MegaCon again in 2015.

Thankfully my hotel was right across the street from Pointe Orlando, where I was meeting some friends for dinner at The Pub. There were I think 8 or 9 of us, so we had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated (thankfully we got our name in just before 7 PM and beat the rush for tables)...but we did get to sit at the "King's Table", which was fun :)

Oh, and the bartender loved our BSG costumes...so much that she wanted to take a picture with us!


Unfortunately the day had been a long one and I was exhausted (and full!) after eating...which meant that I went right back to my hotel and collapsed into bed, falling asleep around 11 PM. And I slept straight until 9 AM the next morning! (Told you I was tired...) Getting that much rest was a very good idea though, because if I thought Friday was long, well...I wasn't at all prepared for Saturday. Stay tuned for my next update! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment