Sunday, March 9, 2014

MonsterCon 2013 Recap: Day 2

One thing I have to say about MonsterCon is that they had a great panel lineup. And no, I'm not just talking about the ones I was scheduled to be on ;)  The first half of Saturday was packed with them - Indie Publishing 101, The Craft of Writing Science Fiction, Podcasting 101, and The Writer's Life.

Unfortunately, when I woke up Saturday morning it was pouring rain. Before I could head all the way out to Furman for the better part of the day, I had to walk my dogs, eat something, and get into my costume for the day - which happened to be Cersei Lannister (sort of...). And let me tell you, those hair extensions are a bitch. Which meant that it was every bit of 1:30 PM before I made it out of the house, and then all I could think about was gulping down a Bloody Mary.

Sadly, Furman is a dry campus, and let me tell you it was a pain to find that drink! We drove all the way there, realized there weren't any bars or restaurants nearby that were actually open (at least not in the direction we were coming from; it probably didn't help that I don't know the area around Furman very well), and had to turn around and go back to the Cherrydale area. But I did finally get my Bloody Mary, and once that was gone I figured it was finally time to make my way to Timmons and settle in for the few events I needed to attend.

And first things first, I ran into another GoT cosplayer!

First things first, some local Redditors had decided to have a little meetup at the convention. There were only a handful of us that were both active on Reddit and attending the convention, but hey, it was a great way to meet a few people with whom I had several things in common :)

And then began my three straight hours of panelisting! (Yes, I know that's not a word, but I'm going to use it anyway. Deal with it ;) ) First up was the "Panel of Ice & Fire", followed by the "Game of Thrones Fan Forum" and finally "Star Wars Trilogy - Take 3". Of those, the Star Wars panel definitely had the most attendees by far, though the Game of Thrones 'fan forum' was also fairly well attended.

Game of Thrones Fan Forum - note incredulous looks on the other panelists' faces as I explain how awesome Sansa is.

Needless to say, after three hours of talking my head off I was more than ready for another drink. There was a quick stop at home to walk and feed dogs before heading out to Ford's, but even so we were there by a little after 9 PM. However, because we hadn't eaten a full meal since breakfast, we decided to eat dinner downstairs before heading up to the party...only to finish eating and go upstairs a little after 10 to find that the 'after dark' event/party was already over. This was a bit disappointing, if only because I'd stayed in costume, driven out downtown (about 15 minutes from home), found parking, and even eaten dinner out (which I rarely do)...all in the name of con nightlife :-/

At this point, though, it seemed that not very many MonsterCon people were out and about (or staying that way, since the official party was over), so I decided to call it a night. There were some panels that I'd thought about attending on Sunday, but when it came down to it I couldn't muster up the energy to drive all the way back out to Furman that day.

All in all, despite what could have been really major setbacks, MonsterCon appeared to be quite a success. From what I heard, they had much higher attendance numbers than they anticipated, and they announced that there would be a MonsterCon 2014 quite soon after last year's convention was over. This year it will take place in mid-July (the 18th-20th, to be exact) and unless something crazy pressing comes up in my 'real life', I'm sure to be there! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment