Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday: The Last Unicorn

Once upon a time, when I was just a little girl, my mom brought my sisters and I to the video store (remember those? heh) and told us that we could each pick out some movies to rent.

Now, I understand that this probably sounds like a completely normal occurrence, and in some ways it was - but in fact there's more to the story, and I'm just not sure it's a good idea to share all of the details ;)

I can't remember exactly how old I was during this magical video store trip, but I know that at the time I loved horses. Really loved them. And this meant I also loved any horse-like animal, real or fake - for instance zebras on one end of the spectrum, unicorns on the other.

Which is why, on that fateful day, this VHS cover caught my eye:


Guys, this is not a children's movie. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, and to be honest it wasn't even super enjoyable as an adult. And yet...I loved it then, and I still do.

Many years later, I introduced my best friend Jenna to The Last Unicorn. I think she probably thought I was nuts, but she loves me, so she gave it a chance. It ended up being such a big personal joke between us that when we got friendship tattoos, it was decided that mine needed to be the sort of beatnik butterfly featured at the beginning of the movie ;)

(sorry for the silly picture, but obviously I don't have many on-purpose pictures of my back)

It was actually some time later, long after Jenna and I had sat down and watched this movie probably a dozen times (let's not lie, we did so mostly for the crazy butterfly), that I finally bought and read The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. And while I loved it in its own right...well, it was quite different from the movie. Still, every time I hear about one of those movie viewing/book signing combos that he's been holding all over the US, I die a little more inside when I realize that for whatever reason (prior commitments, lack of money, etc.), I can't make it.

And then the other day I discovered that there's actually a 'coda' of sorts to The Last Unicorn! It's a novella called 'Two Hearts'...of course I read it, and I loved it - it's sad and beautiful and just perfect.

Oh, and of course the first thing I wanted to do was re-watch the movie that I fell in love with as a child (which, by the way, was many years after the movie was actually released). Also, I'm crazy, so cosplay came to mind as well...but I'm too lazy for purple contacts and my hair's not quite Amalthea blonde anymore, so that probably won't happen ;) Still, that dress of hers...so very simple...and therefore tempting...



Thankfully at the moment I've been able to tell myself "No, Tara. Bad, bad. bad. Console yourself with watching the movie and maybe re-reading the book as well, and stop associating everything with cosplay." We'll see how long that lasts, hmmm? Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment