Thursday, April 24, 2014

Throwback Thursday: My First Cosplays

Despite the fact that I'm *slightly* embarrassed by two out of three of these, I decided that I should share what I suppose are some of my first 'cosplays'. I didn't call them that at the time, and they certainly weren't the only costumes I wore over the years...just the only ones that I cobbled together to try to match something that I saw on screen ;)

I believe that the first time I did this was back in 2006, when I decided that I wanted to be the movie version of Jean Grey/Phoenix from X-Men. This outfit was a combination of things I owned along with pieces I picked up on ebay and at a thrift store...and yes, I know it's nowhere near screen accurate. And no, no one at the Halloween party I went to knew who I was. But hey, I enjoyed myself!


In 2010 I attended my first actual convention (which honestly makes me such a noob compared to most of the friends I've met through going to cons the past couple of years). Just a few weeks before I made my way to Orlando for Star Wars Celebration V, I decided that I needed to wear a costume...and to put together Juno Eclipse from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I searched the Internet high and low...and ended up buying the vast majority of this outfit from Forever 21, of all places ;) Oh, and don't mind the orange blaster...I picked that up at Disney just a day or two before I went to Celebration, and obviously didn't have anything with which to paint it while I was on vacation 600-ish miles from home...


Last but not least, in the summer of 2011 - almost a year before my foray into more 'serious' cosplaying - I once again tore apart my closet and then took to the internet to piece together a Luna Lovegood costume for the premiere of the final Harry Potter movie. Sadly I didn't get any decent full-length pictures of it, and I never did get a chance to wear it a second time, but considering the only money I had to spend was on the spectrespecs, the supplies for the cork cap necklace, and the skirt (which cost like $12 at Old Navy), I was pretty happy with it :)


Of course, I've come a long way in terms of putting costumes together...but I don't know, I'm still kind of lazy about it sometimes - and that's okay. I'd rather have it be fun than stressful; after all, it's just a hobby! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment