Tuesday, May 20, 2014

FAR OVER THE MISTY MOUNTAINS COLD...: Ice & Fire Con 2014 Recap, Part 1

Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute. Wrong fandom on that title.

Except...


Last year we got stuck in fog on the way home...this year it was fog, rain, traffic, you name it, driving over those mountains in North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. At least we got to make the obligatory stop at Sheetz, though! And I've noted that the one we found was either exit 7 or 9 off I-77 in West Virginia for next time ;) (Too bad it was actually one of the worst Sheetz I've ever been to, but hey, the food was still good!)


Due to the weather and a late start, we didn't arrive at Ravenwood until about 9 PM...and of course were up until after 1 AM getting things set up for the next day. It would have been a lot longer, but we had some of our awesome volunteers (and even a couple people who weren't official volunteers) helping us. Seriously, I can't express how great it is that Ice & Fire Con has such a supportive community. But I digress ;)

The next morning dawned sunny but chilly...thankfully I was able to snap a couple of great pictures before the sky clouded over and it rained a bit. (Last year I didn't take NEARLY enough photos of the grounds and just random activities, so I was determined to not make that mistake this time around.)


Ice & Fire Con headquarters...otherwise known as the Silversmith Cottage

Friday morning was spent setting up the rest of our decor, the registration table, and some of the silent auction. Despite arriving Thursday night and doing a bunch of work, then getting up fairly early on Friday morning (couldn't miss breakfast, after all - and the french toast/berry/Mascarpone cheese casserole they served was delicious), we still had way too much to finish. Some day we'll get the setup for this convention streamlined ;)

But to be fair, we did have a lot more awesome decor for this year!

Great Hall
Pub
Silversmith

Before I knew it, 2 PM had rolled around and it was time for me to man the registration table! The next couple of hours were a bit of a blur, but I'll try to recall some details about them in the next part of my recap...so stay tuned... Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment