Thursday, May 1, 2014

Throw Back Thursday: Gone with the Wind

When I was younger my grandmother used to talk about Gone with the Wind a lot. She knew that I was interested in history and insisted that I would love it...but of course child Tara couldn't understand how a movie made in the 1930s (and a love story, at that - this was no Wizard of Oz!) could really be all that great.

And then for some reason, one day my high school best friend and I decided to sit down and watch Gone with the Wind.

From that moment on, I was hooked. (In fact, we both were.) I mean, first things first: Clark Gable.


In an era where our friends were swooning over Brad Pitt (way too pretty, back then) and Tom Cruise (at 15, we were both already taller than him!), Clark Gable was a Real Man. And Rhett Butler, his love for Scarlett - despite how ridiculous she was most of the time - I mean, it was just the kind of crazy two teenage girls would find romantic.


But I couldn't stop at the movie, of course. I'm fairly certain that the moment I found someone to take me to a bookstore I picked up a copy of the novel. Much like my copy of Jurassic Park, the paperback Gone with the Wind that graces my bookshelf has been read so many times that the spine is broken in more than a few places. The movie is so very different from the book, but it was one of those rare adaptations that was able to change things and still be amazing in its own right.


And yes, after growing up and maturing and receiving a B.A. in History, I understand that Gone with the Wind has a lot of issues that shouldn't be excused. I could joke around and say "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" but that's not entirely the truth ;) Still, I love it, even with its flaws. And I still think that everyone should at least watch the movie once, if not read the book as well. So what are you waiting for? Get on that! ;) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment