Thursday, May 15, 2014

Throwback Thursday: My Love for Song of Ice & Fire

With Ice & Fire Con looming, this seemed like the perfect Throwback Thursday post...even if its origins are only about three and a half years ago...


Back in 2011, my good friend Mike started talking about this amazing new show on HBO. He was the one who introduced me to the wonders of Battlestar Galactica (along with several other TV shows and books), and when he kept mentioning Game of Thrones, I knew that I had to check it out.

But then he admitted that it was based on a book series. and me being me I knew that I had to read the books first. This wasn't long after season one of Game of Thrones ended, so of course my goal was to read all of the novels and watch the first season before season two aired.

Little did I know how much picking up Game of Thrones - the first novel in the series, not the show - would change my life.

(I know it sounds silly, but bear with me here.)

Though at first it was slow going, when Ned lost his head, I was hooked. I didn't even believe it at first - how could Martin kill his protagonist?

Clearly I had no idea what I was getting into ;)


I blew through all five books in about a month and a half. As soon as I was done, the TV show was next, and if there had been more than one season my viewing of it would have reached Portlandia BSG episode status.


Before season two came out, I wanted to read Clash of Kings again. But I figured that I might as well start back at the beginning...and then when I finished ACOK, well, why not keep going?

When summer hit I was in the midst of planning for Dragon Con and saw a post about one of the tracks looking for panelists. It happened to be the track that handles Game of Thrones, so I applied to be on their panel for the show...and was accepted! Of course this meant needing to read Clash of Kings again (and watch season two again, as well) before the convention!

At the time, acting out the Purple Wedding called for a spoiler alert.

And once I was at Dragon Con...well, I got involved in some Dragon Con Game of Thrones groups on Facebook and ended up meeting a big group of fans. Two of those fans and I started talking about how sad it was that there wasn't very much programming for the books or the show at other conventions...and then we decided it would be fun to maybe get our friends together at a castle and just have our own little themed weekend...and then somehow that conversation evolved into us actually having our own Song of Ice & Fire/Game of Thrones convention.

As in, selling tickets and everything.

And that's how Ice & Fire Con came to be. (Well, the shortest version of the story, anyway.) Last year the convention was a huge success - we're small, but I think we hold our own as a convention :)

Also, where else are you going to find a Salladhor Saan cosplayer (other than Ice & Fire Con, I mean)?

Of course now we're over halfway through season four of Game of Thrones, I've read the books a couple more times, and I also devoured all the little 'prequel' novellas - the Dunk & Egg tales and The Princess and the Queen. I may not have been a fan for very long, but as I mentioned before, this series has truly taken over a huge portion of my life.


Though there are some online factions of the fandom that can be a bit maddening at times, I've been lucky enough to encounter mostly positive people and discussions. I've met some amazing friends thanks to ASOIAF/GoT, and I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with them for the world.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment