Wednesday, June 4, 2014

KINGS AND QUEENS AND COSTUMES, OH MY!: Ice & Fire Con 2014 Recap, Part 6

We'd set aside a full two hours for the tournament, but it ran so efficiently that we were able to end about fifteen or twenty minutes early...which thankfully gave me a short break before the next event that I was scheduled to run, that being a cosplay/costuming discussion. And yet, story of the weekend, I ran into a snag or two with other things and was still a good ten minutes late. In my defense, I did get held up a bit for pictures after the tournament...because of course we couldn't leave Ice & Fire Con without getting some good shots of us organizers!

King in the North South and the Queen Regent with our respective Kingsguards

Queen Regent, Master of Law & Coin, and Lord Commander of Ice & Fire Con

There were some very knowledgeable people helping me out with the cosplay/costuming discussion group - my friends Cavalyn and Asch - as well as several attendees who chimed in with some great information. I'm hoping that next year, with a couple more volunteers, we can finally respond to the feedback that we should do some sort of cosplay/costuming workshop...but we'll see :) As it was, I know that I took away some great tips from this discussion, and I hope that others did as well.

Fittingly, we'd scheduled the costume contest to take place immediately after our cosplay talk. I was surprised to see that this year we actually didn't have as many entries as last year, despite the fact that we had about 30% more attendees. The costume contest is another thing I'm excited to revamp a bit for 2015, but more info on that later, because this year we did have some great 'performances' (Dom as Tormund Giantsbane, and a new attendee 'Kyle' Drogo as the khal himself), as well as one impressive BROTP in our 'couples' category...




Dom won Best Performance for the second year in a row, while Areo Hotah and Arys Oakheart took the 'couples' category ;) Best book costume went to a Lady Stoneheart cosplayer, while an amazing Davos won best show costume. Even though we had fewer entries total, it was still a difficult decision for our judges, and at the very least I don't see that changing in the future, as so many of the attendees are extremely talented cosplayers/costumers.



Of course, we at Ice & Fire Con don't just focus on those who can fight or dress well...intelligence is key, too! Okay, I'm half kidding, really, but we did have a few activities that highlighted knowledge of ASOIAF and GoT, including what became one of the more popular events of the weekend...and you'll find out what that was in the next installment of this recap :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment