Saturday, November 1, 2014

Happy [belated] Halloween!

I've always loved Halloween, though to be fair it's a bit less exciting now that I go to so many conventions and get to wear costumes several times a year...but hey, Halloween also means getting to participate in 'regular' activities in costume! (Okay, so I do a lot of that as well...)

But it also means pumpkins...and roast pumpkin seeds! I had quite the time FINDING a pumpkin just a couple of days ago (it being so close to Halloween was probably the issue...that's what I get for being away from home for half the month), and the one I *did* find had a few, err, imperfections...but I did my best and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately...I had no candles. And then I forgot to buy them. Ohhhh well...



Halloween also means getting to go to work in "costume" (at least this year, it being on a work day)...which for me was a Mad Men outfit! (I was in a rush this morning and literally just did my hair, on top of a dress that I wear on a regular basis...thankfully my new glasses - yes, those are my actual glasses - made it work).


This is actually the first time I've been home on Halloween - in my own home, I mean, and able to receive trick-or-treaters - since 2007. Despite having a giant bowl of candy and making sure everyone only took a single piece (yeah I know, I'm mean, but I wanted it to last)...I still ran out in about 30 minutes. Guess I should have bought $20-25 worth of candy instead of like $10. Oops :-/

I will say that the highlight of my night were the two girls - who arrived with totally separate parties/at completely different times - who asked what I was reading. (It was The World of Ice & Fire, of course.) They literally looked at me expectantly for the answer!

I think that the most prevalent costumes were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Captain America, and Spiderman. Like...for every single other costume, there were two of the above. Which to be honest was really, really cool. I don't care what anyone says, we have the Marvel Cinematic Universe to thank for that. Of course I do hope that these children are getting exposed to the comic books as well, but regardless I think it's great that these beloved characters from my childhood are enjoying so much popularity again.

And speaking of beloved characters...last night I did *not* dress up as one of mine, but I had fun with this costume and I was excited to wear it. The dress was made based on a basic Game of Thrones wrap dress, though I went the lazy route and bought the choker and cloak (and the wig, actually) from Spirit Halloween. (Listen, sometimes my time is more precious than my money...and these were pretty cheap, on sale, anyway.)



Needless to say, it was a late night last night, and I'm still recovering this afternoon :) I can't believe another Halloween has come and gone...but I do know that next year I'll probably make sure to be traveling for the holiday as per the usual ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment