Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My 32nd Birthday...Pajama Party Style!

So my birthday is in December, which sucks because it's close to Christmas and most of the time people are busy. Plus it's cold.

Usually I combat that by traveling. Seriously, in the previous five years I spent three of my birthdays out of town (with the other two being spent out and about in Greenville). But this year I decided to try something different - a pajama party at home, complete with adult versions of beloved childhood foods ;)

Of course, the night before my party I had to give one of my two themed drinks a test run. It's a good thing I did, too, because the look on my face in this picture says it all...I wasn't too fond of the original mix. But I messed with it a bit before making these again on Saturday!


Birthday Cake Martini

1 ounce Amaretto

1 oz vodka
1/2 oz whipped cream vodka (you can substitute straight vodka if you really want or need to)

1 1/2 ounces creme de cacao

2 ounces heavy cream

Vanilla frosting

Nonpareils

- Put some sprinkles on a small plate. Using your finger, coat the rim of your glass with frosting. Press the rim of the glass into the sprinkles.

- Combine all other ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for about 30 seconds. Strain into your glass and drink :) 

While I did have some cute PJs on underneath, I ended up wearing my Gizmo Kigurumi all night! I was comfortable and warm and got to hang out and catch up with some good friends. Overall I'd say it was a great success!

My niece and I hanging out...she was a trooper

Shots with Dana!

Leigh and I in our official Kigurumis

We also had some special late-night snacks, including some pretty awesome grilled cheeses with tomato soup :) I cooked the first two, but I have to give LeighI'm going to call these ones "Tina-age" Grilled Cheeses...get it? Heh. Heh. Heh. (Yes, I realize it's not that funny. Bear with me here; it's been a rough week.)

"Tina-age" Grilled Cheeses

Italian bread, sliced thin
Fontina cheese
Sage leaves, torn into several pieces
Heirloom tomatoes, sliced

- Layer a couple pieces of cheese, a couple slices of tomatoes, and 1 to 1.5 torn-up sage leaves between two slices of bread.

- Melt a generous pat of butter in a pan over medium/medium-high heat (depends on the stove!).

- Cook first side of sandwich for about 4 minutes; remove from pan and melt another generous pat of butter, then replace on uncooked side and cook for about 3 more minutes.

 - Serve with tomato soup on the side! I tried a zesty tomato bisque and it was perfect :)

I even got a few birthday gifts :) I got to do shots with my friend Dana, who I hadn't seen in forever, and my lovely friend Bekah brought me the perfect mug...

(Please don't mind my dumb face or my bathroom selfie)


Honestly, 31 was a rough year, but I started 32 off okay, and at this point I feel like things can only get better. Now if 2014 could just go the eff away... ;) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment