Sunday, January 11, 2015

Random Recipe Post!

I've been really out of it in terms of cooking this past year. As in, I didn't care to do it, not the least of which because half the time I was too stressed to eat.

But some days you have to just buckle down and live life despite the bullshit it's thrown at you. And I woke up this morning and realized that today was one of those days.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't so motivated that I had any desire to go to the grocery store or anything. But I was able to use myrecipes.com to put in a few ingredients and figure out a meal I could work with.

I added a couple ingredients to the one that I found, and subtracted others, and in the end I give you...


Cheesy Bacon Broccoli Penne

8-10 oz uncooked penne pasta
2 medium heads broccoli, florets chopped
4-6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 rounded tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 rounded teaspoon whole grain Dijon mustard (a.k.a. "Grainy Ball Mustard"...don't ask)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (preferably sharp)
1/2 block cream cheese (4 oz, 5-6 is even okay)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

- Cook noodles according to package directions. WHEN THERE ARE THREE MINUTES LEFT, add the broccoli. When the timer goes off, drain, put in a large mixing bowl, and add the chopped cooked bacon.

-Add the milk and flour to a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth and then cook for approximately five minutes, whisking regularly, until slightly thickened.

- Add the Parmesan cheese, mustard, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper to the milk mixture. Whisk together until smooth.

- Pour the sauce over the pasta mix and toss until coated. Serve immediately topped with more grated Parmesan :)

* Please note that you can remove the bacon and mix in 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg instead if you want to make this a vegetarian meal. *


...I also baked chocolate chip cookies this evening, and earlier this weekend I cleaned half my house and wrote about 2,000 words for my new novel. So apparently I've generally been productive! Amazing!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment