Friday, February 13, 2015

Tara's ASOIAF Re-Read: ACOK, Bran III - Daenerys II

* PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL RE-READ POSTS WILL INCLUDE SPOILERS FOR ALL PUBLISHED WORKS IN THE SONG OF ICE & FIRE UNIVERSE. *

This time there wasn't one repeat chapter, yay!

Problem is, for some reason that makes it even harder to write this little recap.

Bran is still boring, though at least now the Reeds have arrived, and I did get a good chuckle out of Bran sending Little Walder boiled beets and Big Walder buttered turnips at the feast. That and it was nice hearing how he sent food to people who weren't lords or guests - Joseth, who trained his horse, and Hodor and Old Nan, because he loved them. Sometimes I forget that once Bran was actually just a sweet, normal kid. You know, before he started warging into people and stuff.

Seriously, neither one of these looks very appetizing. Go Bran.

Other than that, the only thing that really jumped out at me in Bran's chapter was his comment that Arya would never marry one of the Walders' uncles. How right he was...heh, heh.

Catelyn does have a really great chapter right after Bran's, though. It's funny how even now, it's hard not to be frustrated about Renly's choices. Yeah, we get it, Stannis sucks...but man these people are so obnoxious! It's one of the things that drives me crazy about these books...they're not really an escape, are they, because everything is almost TOO real. And yet that's what I love about them, at the same time.

In fact, Brienne is introduced in this chapter, and she's kind of a perfect example of what I'm talking about. As ugly as she is, and as shitty as she's had it because of that, she still believes things like, "Winter will never come for the likes of us. Should we die in battle, they will surely sing of us, and it's always summer in the songs. In the songs all knights are gallant, all maids are beautiful, and the sun is always shining."

Obviously "winter" does come for her, and very very soon...but for now we leave Catelyn and Brienne and Renly to deal with Stannis, who just arrived at Storm's End.

North of the Wall, the Night's Watch dudes are all up in Craster's Keep (heh, heh), where Sam caused some trouble with Gilly. Again this talk of kings around Jon, ugh! Am I reading too much into this? I know that Sam meant Robb, but if I'm not mistaken Gilly seems to kind of forget herself when she's talking to Jon and says, "Sorry to be of trouble, m'lord. I only...they said the king keeps people safe, and I thought..."

Okay, yeah, probably reading into that way too much. And like the Night's Watch, I have other proverbial "wars" to fight, so moving on...

This is the first time I've noticed that Asha calls out to her own crew - including her lover - while she's hanging on Theon's arm pretending to be Esgred. Did she tip them off that this would be happening, or was it just by chance that they didn't say her name when they talked to her? That's about the only thing I took from this chapter other than that Theon is getting kind of whiny (listen, I get it, he has his reasons - but that doesn't mean I have to LIKE it). But I know how much worse things get for him - and yeah, okay, they're already kinda bad - so I'm just going to back away from this slowly and move on to another not-so-favorite of mine...Tyrion!

I feel like maybe I should have seen Robb's fall coming a lot sooner than I did. First Renly refuses to acknowledge him, and then Tyrion picks apart his "peace treaty" and tosses out 95% of it. Originally I think I was probably just annoyed with Renly and Tyrion, but knowing what comes later changes things a bit. Their reactions are still annoying, but I'm also frustrated with how Robb is acting as well (even as I understand at least some of his decisions).

It's not very different when Tyrion deals with Ser Alliser. It's both frustrating and amusing; the latter because Ser Alliser is a huge jerk, and the former because he's actually telling the truth, a very scary truth, and that truth is being ignored. Interesting, though, how Tyrion says to give Jon Snow his regards...especially so soon after tearing Robb's peace treaty to bits. Yeah yeah, men of the Night's Watch give up their previous alliances...but still. Still.

Other than that, Arya arrives at Harrenhal and is set to work for Tywin Lannister of all people, while Dany arrives in Qarth and finally hears that Robert Baratheon is dead. Jorah bosses her around and that's about it for her, for now...and this is definitely about "it" for me, because I'm more than ready to move on to my next set of chapters :) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment