Thursday, June 11, 2015

Book Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I have no problem admitting that I only ended up reading this book because I started watching the show. Did I fall in love with the show? Nah, not really. But it intrigued me enough that I wanted more, and I wanted it before there would be new episodes of the show, so there we are.

source

I guess the best thing I can say about this novel is that it has good (not great, but good) characterization and beautiful imagery. At times I couldn't put it down.

But then it went on. And on. And on. And on.

Seriously, this book is way too long. It could have been broken up into two, maybe three novels. How long it was, and how ridiculous some of the conflicts seemed at times, basically turned me away from my original plan to read more of the series...at least for now.

I don't find Outlander to be tremendously romantic, either, and if you're looking for a romance novel...well, this isn't it. As historical fiction goes, I found it decent, which is about as good as it can be considering it's history seen through the eyes of a time-traveling woman.

Now, speaking of historical fiction, while fairly accurate in its depiction of violence, I have to say that if you are squeamish in reading about beatings, torture, and/or rape, this novel is not for you. I was okay with it up until [nearly] the end of the book, at which point there is a description of a rape scene and its aftermath that is so graphic and heart-wrenching that I almost tossed my copy aside and didn't bother reading the last pages (of which there were, if I remember correctly, less than 100).

Do I understand why people love this book? Sure. But for my part I can only give it 2.5/5 stars. Maybe 3. I'm honestly still fighting myself over that. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment